The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra won't start or be jumped...

Notts_TT

Hi

Supra has been parked away for the winter and I went in a few weeks back and there wasn't enough juice in battery to start it.....

I left it a a few more weeks and now has no power in battery at all...

A mate came over in his golf running 6 batteries and a 230amp alternator and we tried to jump it with some leads, that wouldn't work, not even a light on the dash would light up, it did nothing...

Surely if it was a battery problem the jump off the golf would of done it ?

Please help.....

Thanks

I cant see how it wouldnt start as its just the same as using another battery sat in another car with longer leads thats charging at the same time :think:

If the battery is completely dead, ie no charge left what so ever, then the battery internals won't conduct a current. Therefore, the circuit has a break in it, and will not work.

If the battery is completely dead, ie no charge left what so ever, then the battery internals won't conduct a current. Therefore, the circuit has a break in it, and will not work.

So taking the battery out the equation, and plugging the jump leads straight onto the battery leads of the car as if you have a fully charged battery just the only difference being it not sitting in the car? I dont get how this cant work.

So taking the battery out the equation, and plugging the jump leads straight onto the battery leads of the car as if you have a fully charged battery just the only difference being it not sitting in the car? I dont get how this cant work.

thats what i was trying to say in my post above..can't see why that won't work

Even if the battery was still connected its the exact same as having 2 batterys in parallel but with one dead and the other fully charged it will by pass the dead battery at the terminals in my logic. Or removing the battery and using someone elses is the same as having a battery in the boot but with an alternater charging it. Electrics are not my strong point lol....

Im sure that would work, but driving around with a) His Bonnet off/up and B) having his mate match his speed so that he can use the juice from his friends car, seems a little impractical.

Im sure that would work, but driving around with a) His Bonnet off/up and B) having his mate match his speed so that he can use the juice from his friends car, seems a little impractical.

But he should still get an interior lamp to illuminate from this method? Which failing to get any kind of voltage into the car means some kind of main power fuse has blown?

Should have worked off his mates car especially with a 230amp alternator (medium revs at least 2000-3000rpm) and heavy gauge 600ampish jump leads. Only time it may not is if the battery is ok and deeply disharged and sucking all the current from the jump to charge itself.

It the battery is fubared it wouldn't interfere with a jump start. My guess is check the main 120 amp fuse. If that has popped putting a brand new battery in will not start the car or light the guages.