The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Charltons- silver repaint

Rob_Mitchell

Lee left his supra with us to carry out a full repaint in stock silver. The body is actually in nice shape with just a couple of little dings. The vehicle had a dragonball wrap and has completely wrecked the paintwork, well the wrap pulled most paint off with it. We are also going to be doing a rear washer and wiper delete and this is a screen out repaint for better results. The paintwork has gone a bit dull and definately had paintwork done in the past as some of the silvers are different colours.

Going to start stripping her down today, so ill post more pics as i go. Lee just wants it back looking mint, so thats what he is going to get...................

Car as it stands

2013-04-03 08.29.09.jpg

2013-04-03 08.29.38.jpg

2013-04-03 08.29.58.jpg

2013-04-03 08.30.21.jpg

I can't believe the damage the Dragonball wrap has done. I looked long and hard at this car when it was up for sale and I know Gary looks after his vehicles.

Looking forward to the pics of the finished job. Not sure if I would have gone 199 Silver again though. BMW or Lambo grey ftw..!!

H.

Not sure if I would have gone 199 Silver again though. BMW or Lambo grey ftw..!!

H.

I hadn't considered another grey/silver as I quite like the look of this in 199. I was toying with a change to black but I'd have to see the other shades before agreeing - maybe Rob will get the Supra back in a few years for an update :)

When I removed some of the writing from the paintwork it came off fine but I did heat it up well,

My sticker man did say if you don't heat it well it could snap pulling off paint def if its had a paint job

Some of the places where the wrap did snap off left the paint in tact, the bits where the paint came off were heated just right - not too hot or cold. It came off easily so it was not too cold and I had my hand on the wrap checking the temp and still have the hair on my knuckles so it was never too hot!!

cant wait to see the result :thumbs: theres someone else having a respray in stock silver but has now added a flake/tint to the paint so it looks stock but in certain angles/light it has a special look to it. thought about going this route?

Ill go any route for extra £££'s mate, its not my call to make

The current state just looks like a bare shell :D, windows are out ect and doors are off and stripped.

I don't like seeing a Supra in this state, it looks like its been left on a council estate :D

cant wait to see the result :thumbs: theres someone else having a respray in stock silver but has now added a flake/tint to the paint so it looks stock but in certain angles/light it has a special look to it. thought about going this route?

I hadn't really given it much thought to be honest, I just wanted to get it back to how it should look. I'd have to see it before going for it but I think it will still look stunning with stock silver

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=22296&d=1364852548

I should hopefully be in a position where I can get a respray soon so watching with interest :) Can autoglass take the rear screen out or is it a case of smashing it and then getting on to autoglass? I'd like a propper windows out respray so would be looking to get hold of all the seals etc and I hear getting those back quarter windows out is a bit of an art.

I should hopefully be in a position where I can get a respray soon so watching with interest :) Can autoglass take the rear screen out or is it a case of smashing it and then getting on to autoglass? I'd like a propper windows out respray so would be looking to get hold of all the seals etc and I hear getting those back quarter windows out is a bit of an art.

Yeah side windows are a PITA! my hands are wrecked, plus they eat stanley blades lol. We get a local glass company to get screens out BUT even then there is a chance of them breaking, were not held responsible if they do though. Makes the repaint job much better imo.