The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sealing Front Headlights

Sheefa

Hi Greg, I used Tiger Seal for at least 4 sets and no condensation etc. I did heat up old headlight cases too to make old sealant soft and just refill empty spots with Tiger seal and then push lenses back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-POL-TIGER-SEAL-BLACK-310ML-SEALANT-/160999373864?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257c4f7c28

Edited by Konrad (see edit history)

I bought some new sealant just in case but did not need it as they sealed up with the old stuff no problems. In fact they sealed back better than before I split them, as one was getting condensation inside but it's cured that. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a load of clear silicon sealant that I was going to use but when I dug this thread back out it looks like the ideal stuff is windscreen sealant as it can be melted in the oven should they need re-opening. When I pulled the headlight from the chassis it p**sed all over my leg from the amount of water collected. The drainage route goes directly to the headlights under the bonnet! Champion design there :looney:

Overnight in the airing cupboard amongst my pants has cured the damp :)

Got heavily rained on and then drove home with the lights on. Trying to dry this sucker out in the airing cupboard. Re-sealing time when it's dried out for this one, passenger side has no problems.

http://just.razzi.me/photos/1018448/bcbff84.jpg

take out the high beam bulb, and stuff a pack of silica gel (found in boxes of new shoes etc, look like tea bags) in there for a few days, make sure u dont push it in too far that i falls into the light housing as ur have to strip them apart again to get it out, they will absorb any moisture in the housing, if the fogging comes back, uve got a leak in the seal somewhere. ;)

I had a look for some silica gel in the bags but it's been some considerable time since I last bought shoes :) Airing cupboard has done the trick and all the mist has cleared. No water left in there at all so now I need to re-seal it with something like that window sealant. Apparently salt is a good moisture absorber and baking soda too. If you have a damp car these are meant to be pretty good.

take out the high beam bulb, and stuff a pack of silica gel (found in boxes of new shoes etc, look like tea bags) in there for a few days, make sure u dont push it in too far that i falls into the light housing as ur have to strip them apart again to get it out, they will absorb any moisture in the housing, if the fogging comes back, uve got a leak in the seal somewhere. ;)

Good idea. :)