The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear suspension and handling advice needed please

Suprakeith

Hi need some help and advice please. 1st of the nearside rear of car started handling all wrong and making noise when cornering. Had car checked out and was told my upper arm was to blame so have replaced that today but noticed when doing job the front lower arm(of rear of car) bush was worn aswell so that needs changing. Can someone tell me the full name of part please its the longer lower arm towards front of car? (hope that makes Sense).

Also took car for test drive and she is handling so much better and smoother but still have a rubbing noise coming from nearside rear when corner. Could this be to do with the lower arm? or any other options please?

Dont think its the diff as that was only fitted about 8months ago and got it from keron.

Just trying to work out what could be causing the noise

All help and advice is very helpfull as really need to get problem sorted asap as supra is my daily

Thanks in advance :)

Nah its the lower arm which conects to back of wheel hub and to the chassis if that makes sense? sorry i know i not being helpfull should of taken picture but didnt think

- - - Updated - - -

Any of the suspension arms with either play in the ball joints or bushes will cause

handling problems as the geometry of the wheel will move more than it should.

Oh yea i know that just trying to work out if that would be cause of the rubbing noise when corner bud

Nah its the lower arm which conects to back of wheel hub and to the chassis if that makes sense? sorry i know i not being helpfull should of taken picture but didnt think

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea i know that just trying to work out if that would be cause

of the rubbing noise when corner bud

Depends how much the hub is moving, is the car lowered and got

bigger wheels/tyres fitted

As far as the arm goes you either mean lower arm no1 which adjusts

the toe or lower arm no2 which adjusts the camber.

Look on the WSM pdf page SA-42 shows all the axle components

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

As far as I know it is advised to change the hub flange if changing the bearing. Sit down when you get the price for them. When I had a bearing go I got a replacement hub from Keron. Ok, I know there is no guarantee how long this will last but was very cheap compared to getting a bearing pressed out, new one pressed in and changing the flange!

Ok thanks for that i will bear that in mind. I didnt relise their was that much involved in changing rear hub bearing

There is a few hours work in changing the bearing. Most of the cost will come from the bearing kit. I'm sure from MR T they come in around £200 each for the rear.

What does the rear bearing kit involve then please?

Just the wheel bearing that will consist of the outer race and inner race and the front a rear oil seals. You will also need the dust cover that sits on the back of the axel hub carrier as that gets removed and is normally damaged. I think they are about £20 pound although I can't really remember. You best bet is to give Paul a bell at whiffbitz and ask for one of his automotive rear wheel bearing kits. They are about £100 pound for the rear and seam very good quality. I fitted them on my rears and haven't had any problems so far

• 4 weeks later...

Well am hoping to change them friday, and wheels have never caught before so cant imagine its them i didnt think of calibre to be honest as fitted refurbed rear calibres about year ago but its worth a check, when do arms tomorrow will check sliders and re grease just to be sure, i do def believe one of the bushes on lower arm is worn as when put some weight on lower arm with metal bar am getting slight rubbing noise. Thanks for the tip and will def check calibre while wheel is off.

Just been stood looking at car and have alot more brake dust on drivers side wheel than the near side, i now wondering if it the drivers side calibre and the noise is transferring to near side as do hear the noise from the near side rear when corner, wouldnt it be funny if been looking at wrong side and spending money on bits for no reason :blink:

Just pop a trolley jack under the diff, get both rears off the ground

rotate by hand and see if one side is harder to turn than the other.

Also if you've been driving see if one side feels hotter than the other

using the back of your hand near to the caliper but don't touch as it'll

be hot