The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tom Tom go and speed camera database

far

Hi ALL,

Just wanting some comments from tomtom users who have downloaded the Speed camera database from pocketgps.co.uk - is this any good ? I am thinking about getting rid of the Snooper S6 and buying a tom tom go and downloading the speed camera database

TIA

FAR

Mates got one in his car.

Seems to work pretty well, theres an audible warning as you approach one and it also flags up on the display/map exactly where it is on the road your travelling on.

Seemed pretty accurate to me.

Out of interest, im thinking of getting one too but where would you mount it? I dont like the idea of it being on an arm?

Originally posted by Supra_Nish

Out of interest, im thinking of getting one too but where would you mount it? I dont like the idea of it being on an arm?

I was just planning on putting it on the arm, no problems here for me - its on a sucker thing which looks like it works quite well IMO

It picked up all the gatsos while i was in it for a few miles, also i think the db is updated quite often so quite handy.

I did have it fitted in my car when we drove up to alton towers on the arm, but the first time i floored it landed in the back seat!

Think theres a velcro thingy too but really dont want it stuck on dash especially as its a roundish shape and not a flat square.

For the price and what it does it is an amazing bit of kit.

Originally posted by far

Hi ALL,

Just wanting some comments from tomtom users who have downloaded the Speed camera database from pocketgps.co.uk - is this any good ? I am thinking about getting rid of the Snooper S6 and buying a tom tom go and downloading the speed camera database

TIA

FAR

Hi Far

I've had a Tomtom GO for about 3 months and I'm still happy with it. It sticks fine on the screen with the suction mount, no matter how much I sling the car around.

The speed camera database is updated fairly regularly, it seems to find most of the cameras, but isn't directional, so reports cameras on the other side of the road as well as the direction that you are travelling.

A bonus is that it also reports red light cameras, although it sometimes confuses them with speed cameras.

I still use my Road Angel and between them they seem to have all the bases covered

HTH

Originally posted by Rob

CheckPOInt is also very good, it gives directional location of speedcameras, and counts down distance. Alerts are quiet though, especially in a supra.

Rob, did you acquire CheckPOInt *ahem*onthesly*ahem* ?

I did have a version of this but it was in German and not much use to me :(

Could do with an updated version if poss :)

Ok, downloaded the software and have installed on my iPaq, no problems there.

Registered on the site, input email address and received confirmation email along with code.

Made sure login on the site with email address and password are working correctly and they are.

On the iPaq when I try to validate it says "CheckPOInt coulnd not connect to the POIplace website" and yet I've got the iPaq browsing on the net through my laptop perfectly ok to google and made sure that was working properly, I've even browsed to the POIplace website on the iPaq. :(

Any ideas? I wanted to test this out today :(

PS I've checked my email address and the code is input in lower and uppercase correctly as per their email.

Rob

Did you have any problems with the synchronisation of checkpoint? Mine wont sync with their site, comes up with "unexpected error occurred" :(

I've downloaded all the files off of their site and installed manually but nothing appears on the overlay, even though I've got it all selected via their instructions :(

Gahhhhh!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have TomTom for my mobile phone (identicle system to tomtom go)... I have a small GPS receiver the size of a mobile mounted on the plastic shelf near the rear seat belts, this connects via Bluetooth to my phone which I have mounted on the driver sun visor, it looks very neat and does the GATSO, Sat Nav job perfectly! You will of course need an Xtrac 2 GPS receiver £50, Maps+Mem Card £30 and compatible phone i.e Orange SPV 500.... All in all not bad for £80... Nothing hanging from the dash either :)