The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint explosion - now fixed

add heywood

Well this sucks...

Thought I would get the car out and give it a bit of a clean since we finally had an hour of sun, hadnt been washed since I got it back. There had been a small sticker on the bonnet that i tried to peel off but found it was lifting the paint off. So thought I would leave it till I could find something to cover it with.

Got the jetwash out and started to rinse the car off, next thing I know there are big chunks of paint flying everywhere. :cry: now my jetwash is only a cheap jobby, not like an army water cannon or anything. Must have took a chunk around 12 x 8 inches clean off the carbon...

So I thought I best get this flakey paint off and will now have to get the bonnet resprayed :-(

This is what it ended up like, just with the jetwash... Another job to add to the list :thumbsdown:

Edited by add heywood (see edit history)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No primer used by the look of it?

Nope, no primer at all. The flakes of paint were pretty much identical either side...

Who painted it in the first place!?

I bought it already painted, as it was already 040...

This is the million dollar question. That looks a different bonnet from DB last year?

Yeah mate went with a Ridox carbon bonnet off Pudsey...

If you zoom into the last picture you can start to make out the dry patches just under where the vent is...

Adds, who will you go to now. I use a couple of people, my mate Mark is really good for small stuff but I doubt he would fancy the whole bonnet without removing it entirely. There is also a place called Perfect Finish in Farnworth and I have found their work amazing. Did my Audi a couple of years ago and they were great.

H.

Adds, who will you go to now. I use a couple of people, my mate Mark is really good for small stuff but I doubt he would fancy the whole bonnet without removing it entirely. There is also a place called Perfect Finish in Farnworth and I have found their work amazing. Did my Audi a couple of years ago and they were great.

H.

I used to use a guy in standish but last time he wasn't fantastic... May get in touch with the guys you mentioned see what thy say...