The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FAO members in North Shields - club spirit needed!

drift_bear

Was wondering if anyone from around that area has dealt with a garage called "dial motor co"? A new member from up this was has spotted a nice white supra there and has asked me to help him find out more about it.

Has anyone seen this supra before or knows who owned it? Anyone able to view it for him and posy up the results? Saves him travelling south for no reason

It looks like a facelift but hasn't got the facelift headlights/sidelights, top secret front bumper, veilside skirts and oem spats, all info can be found here

Cheers guys :thumbs:

I thought facelifts were 97/98 onwards? That's a 96 plate.

That's what I thought, but it's got facelift rear lights, interior inc the dash...

It has got facelift headlights, and no side indicators on the wings which suggests it is a facelift :)

Listy a P reg can be a 97 as well I think due to the date the number plates change over

But there's no sidelights either which normally are built into the indicator :think:

I thought facelifts were 97/98 onwards? That's a 96 plate.

96 were when the first facelifts came in. My NA was an N plate and facelift. Interior pictures would shed some light on this. With the kit on we can't tell. Headlights and rear lights are facelift but the front and rear side repeaters have been removed. There isn't a repeater in the wing which would suggest it is actually a facelift. 5 dials on the dash would confirm.

As it is an aftermarket front bumper, the issue regarding the side repeaters disappears. Those little side repeaters added on to the corners (ish... :D ) of the front bumper are obviously the 'replacements' for the OEM offerings. The stock wiring of a pre-facelift is such that it can't reach that far towards the front of the car for facelift side repeaters so the wiring would have to be extended if it was pre-facelift. More leading to it being a facelift for ease.

As for the rear markers being missing, my only thought with that is that the spats are pre-facelift and so they have no groove to retain the OEM markers. The height of them is such that they would cover the original marker position anyway.

Those are my thoughts - aftermarket front and spats causing the OEM side repeaters and rear markers to be removed. Especially as the headlights, tail lights, front wings and age all suggest that it was in facelift crossover time :)

There are aftermarket 'blobs' on the front bumper where the OEM markers were, albeit smaller (the size of the pre-facelift side repeaters - which were located on the front wings) so you would still have a side repeater. This wouldn't (or certainly shouldn't!) cause any issues with MOT.

As for the rear markers, this would make no difference as the pre-facelifts don't have them anyway. :)

This same supra was mentioned by one of the members in Northumberland just the other day, http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?287288-N-A-auto-supra!

if you had put this up at dinnertime I could have took a gander, as I was working in whitley bay and have been for weeks but unfortunately im working in Hartlepool tomorrow so cant help until probably late next week as I have no transport

Fitment of the front bumper isn't great, but seen worse.

Personally I'd be looking to at least get an N/A manual, as auto's are always considered the least desirable of Supras. I'd also consider 3k to be the very top end for an N/A auto.

How about either of these:

1. N/A aero for the same price, http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-aerotop-targa-3-0i/1042789

2. Very nice N/A, http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-3-0-na-manual-1996-low-mileage/1140674

Only thing I'd question about the second one, is it *may* have been a 6-speed previously. Could just as easily not have been, but it would be worth checking. :)

Fitment of the front bumper isn't great, but seen worse.

Personally I'd be looking to at least get an N/A manual, as auto's are always considered the least desirable of Supras. I'd also consider 3k to be the very top end for an N/A auto.

How about either of these:

1. N/A aero for the same price, http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-aerotop-targa-3-0i/1042789

2. Very nice N/A, http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-3-0-na-manual-1996-low-mileage/1140674

Only thing I'd question about the second one, is it *may* have been a 6-speed previously. Could just as easily not have been, but it would be worth checking. :)

What makes you say it may have been a 6 speed Steven? My NA was on N and a 5 speed but I suppose the VIN will tell all.

If I was in the market I would seriously fancy that though.

Nothing particularly, I'd personally just check all facelift 5 speeds. As you say, the VIN will tell all.

It does look like a lovely example, all the shut lines are perfect, engine bay is clean(but crucially, not too clean), no cheap body kits, interior is excellent, even the door shuts are clean and the bit on the door where everyone catches it with their shoes is spotless. Would definitely be worth a viewing if you were in the market for a N/A manual.

no need now mate, i have bought one. people wont be impressed with where i bought from but i decided it was worth while :-)

~

I did speak to him about this trader lol

Pray tell' date=' the main thing is your happy with it, perhaps you could even share a good story from somewhere with a "reputation"![/quote']

Adam, I should be checking it over for him once it gets delivered to him next week :thumbs: