The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where do I go from here?

GeordieSteve

Ok you can see my mods below on my signature. Where do I go from here? I do want more power and I'd quite enjoy it if my engine didn't explode! Since having my de-cat fitted I've hit a maximum of 1.1 Bar with my stock J-spec turbos. I've just been given a SHIT LOAD of horror stories on Club Calibra that I'm looking for trouble doing that and that .9 Bar is the max you should run J-spec turbos :(

So... what should my next few mods be? I guess I'm going to be looking at replacing the turbos at some point. Thing is I hate to spend a couple of grand on somthing "adequate" when I can chip in another couple of K and get the best of the best. So... has anyone got some prices or advice on where to go and what I could expect from it?

Also my guess is I should be running roughly 350-380bhp at the mo? Anyone agree/disagree? It ran 326bhp standard

Thanks!

What condition is your intercooler in? You should be fairly safe running 1.1bar on stock J turbos provided your intercooler isn't knackered. Although any raise in boost over stock is obviously going to decrease the life expectancy of the turbos.

A front mounted intercooler or uprated side mounted intercooler would be a good next step, along with an EGT guage so you can monitor things. You won't notice much if any power difference with a FMIC but it will allow you to run 1.1-1.2bar more safely. You might also want to consider fitting water injection kit, I've no experience of them personally but i know Chris W recommends, sells and fits them.

Next step after that would be uprating the fuel system with an uprated fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, injectors and associated electronics (e-manage, safc etc) to map the fueling.

There are also handling upgrades to consider such as brakes, shocks, tyres, etc.

Originally posted by GeordieSteve

Since having my de-cat fitted I've hit a maximum of 1.1 Bar with my stock J-spec turbos. I've just been given a SHIT LOAD of horror stories on Club Calibra that I'm looking for trouble doing that and that .9 Bar is the max you should run J-spec turbos :(

You're asking in the wrong place mate, they're still crapping themselves over the life of their transfer boxes on Club Calibra, and feverishly measuring their tyres to make sure that they're all the same size :D TBH most of them haven't got a lot of experience with Supras, J-Spec or otherwise. They just tend to repeat parrot fashion the tales that they may have been told :(

Nothing against Calibras, I had a V6 for a while, when I needed a car with some room in the boot :)

The general concensus of opinion on here is that 1.1 - 1.2 bar is OK with J-spec turbos as long as your fuelling is up to it. Walbro pump and (debatably) FSE regulator should take care of that, but the only way to be sure is to stick it on a rolling road.

As for your BHP, your guess is as good as anyones. It really seems to depend where you take it, as to what figures you get. IMHO BHP figures are really most useful as a baseline to refer to when you've done some mods and RR your car again. As long as you take it back to the same place of course ;)

what do the calibra club know about supra turbos?

i running my car at a max of 1.3 bar at the min and it feels like its flying. running fmic ,water injection, walbro pump, 440cc injectors, no boost controller or fuel computers. jap spec turbos can go at the drop of a hat. some have gone running 1.1 bar others running high power through them. sort some cooling mods out and fit a walbro to be safe.

maybe go for egt gauge too or AFR gauge to keep an eye on your car.

Originally posted by GeordieSteve

Oh I got slagged off BIG TIME by some cock on the Cali club who said I obviously know fuck all because I'm using a boost controller and planned to run 1.2 Bar

Go tell him someone on the bbs runs 2.2 bar !!!!!

Dude:flame Dev

lol a lot of them (including johnA) get upset by the fact your running more power than them. When I bought the Supra a few were having a go at them for whatever fault they could find (got the usual 280bhp Jap spec bullshit).

I'm still a regular on .net tho. Think I'll buy a V6 as a run about at some point

One thing that REALLY pissed me off about them is there was a collection for a lad who was killed in a car crash (passenger). His parents wanted to finish his Cali off how he would have wanted it. I put in for the collection to help it along... and nothing came of it. No one seems to know where the money is and they admit it didn't go to the family. :twak: