The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP - working out sub sealed box volume.

SupraStar 3000

F.A.O Mods:

please delete this thread if absolutely necessary as its in the wrong section, but I'm after maximum coverage and a speedy answer a.s.a.p ;)

------------------------

The problem:

Started working out the sealed box volume for a Infinity Reference 1030w 10" sub and I'm now a little confused :conf:

The diameter of the sub is 10" (254.0mm) so I'd guess going on past sub boxes i would expect the size to be around 25" cubed

(thats 25"high x 25"deep x 25"wide) approximately.

In the box i find a 'technical date' sheet!

Great, this should confirm the box size but according to the data the sealed box volume (including driver displacement) should be 0.72 ft cubed (21.24 liters)

:eek: ?????? ..... but thats around 9"sq and smaller than the sub diameter.

way too small?

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply.

I did consider makeing the box different sizes on all sides but keeped the faces equal on the example to avoid confusion ;)

Matt Harwood has confirmed my dimensions on another thread but on the issue of box dimensions, does the area ie. depth behind the sub effect performance.

I only plan to have 15cm behind the sub magnet/coil. Is that going to compromise sound,.... or should I just make the depth greater?

SUB BOX AREA

----------------------------

I need an INTERNAL size of 0.75 cubic foot.

thats 21.24 liters.

(cm) I intend to make my box 37cm x 37cm x 15cm deep.

thats 37 x 37 x 15 = 20.54 liters (+1 liter for sub pod = 21.5lt)

You get about a lot don't you! :innocent:

Ideally, make the box with the rear at a different angle to the front, (assuming the sub is at the front). This will help prevent standing waves causing too much cancellation.

Also, fill the box with wadding. Roughly 50% full. This will also alter standing waves, (which are a bad thing), and alter the size of the box the sub 'sees' helping it drop to lower frequencies, and making transient response smoother, (note-to-note changes).