The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering wheel shake problem

Twisted

From 60mph upwards my steering wheel starts to shake. At 80mph it reaches it's maximum shaking and continues. I can't drive through it. If I let go of the wheel the car stays straight.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

What I've already tried

- wheel balancing correct

- good tread on tyres

- wheels are not buckled

- wheel nuts tightened to 110nm

The alloys are the same size all round but the tyre on the front are smaller than the rears for some reason. 235/35/18 front and 265/35/18 rear. No idea on the offset.

The guy who checked the wheels balancing mentioned the wheels don't look like they don't sit on the hub properly. As if there is some sort of shim missing to help it sit on there.

The guy who checked the wheels balancing mentioned the wheels don't look like they don't sit on the hub properly. As if there is some sort of shim missing to help it sit on there.

Are the spigot rings present? If the wheels are missing them, they won't be sat right and will cause some shaking and juddering.

- - - Updated - - -

Spigot rings missing ?

That's twice in 10 minutes we've said the same thing and you've beaten me by mere seconds!!!!!!

The supras spigot diameter is 60.1 mm the wheels you will have to measure

- - - Updated - - -

Are the spigot rings present? If the wheels are missing them, they won't be sat right and will cause some shaking and juddering.

- - - Updated - - -

That's twice in 10 minutes we've said the same thing and you've beaten me by mere seconds!!!!!!

2nd place is first loser :D

From 60mph upwards my steering wheel starts to shake. At 80mph it reaches it's maximum shaking and continues. I can't drive through it. If I let go of the wheel the car stays straight.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

What I've already tried

- wheel balancing correct

- good tread on tyres

- wheels are not buckled

- wheel nuts tightened to 110nm

The alloys are the same size all round but the tyre on the front are smaller than the rears for some reason. 235/35/18 front and 265/35/18 rear. No idea on the offset.

as said before spigot rings, but my monies on the wheel balance being out, what kind of tyre fitter is he? "don't look like they sit on the hub properly" surly he would know if it had spigot rings missing or why it's not fitting properly?

i have had tyres balanced twice at the same place and they could not get it right so went elsewhere and they got it right first time.

[/b][/u]

as said before spigot rings, but my monies on the wheel balance being out, what kind of tyre fitter is he? "don't look like they sit on the hub properly" surly he would know if it had spigot rings missing or why it's not fitting properly?

i have had tyres balanced twice at the same place and they could not get it right so went elsewhere and they got it right first time.

That's his main job. I can't remember exactly what he said so I'm not really doing him justice but he did pretty much say he believes it's missing but obviously wasn't sure if it was different on supras. He said the wheel balancing was perfect but re done it anyway. I was watching him doing it. I do trust him.

In your first post you said the wheels are straight, where they checked on the wheel balancer or on the car?.

Have you checked the tyres for bulges in the tread?

Another idea what you could do is put the spare on and test at 60mph and see if wobble goes or gets better?

Let us know what the problem is when it gets sorted.

In your first post you said the wheels are straight, where they checked on the wheel balancer or on the car?.

Have you checked the tyres for bulges in the tread?

Another idea what you could do is put the spare on and test at 60mph and see if wobble goes or gets better?

Let us know what the problem is when it gets sorted.

Checked on a balancer

I didn't directly look for bulges or inspect them properly but I've not seen anything wrong. Neither did the bloke doing the balancing.

I will give it a go with the spare wheel.

I will check for spigot rings, put some on if they don't have them and see if that fixes it. But yes I will post up results :)

I'm picking up some new discs tomorrow :) so if its not the spigot rings then I'll try changing the discs. I'm glad nothing major has been mentioned though.

Dude, just check whether the spigot rings are present first, before worrying about anything else. I wouldn't even worry about trying different wheels until you know more.

Take a wheel off. If the spigot ring is not there, here lies the problem (more than likely)(remember to check in the wheel too, not just on the hub ;))

If the spigot ring is there, then start looking at tyres, maybe brakes as mentioned before.

Dude, just check whether the spigot rings are present first, before worrying about anything else. I wouldn't even worry about trying different wheels until you know more.

Take a wheel off. If the spigot ring is not there, here lies the problem (more than likely)(remember to check in the wheel too, not just on the hub ;))

If the spigot ring is there, then start looking at tyres, maybe brakes as mentioned before.

:) that was my plan bud. I'd rather work my way from the cheapest and easiest option before going for a full on engine change ha

I'll post up if I get stuck or just bring it to you and do what every driver does. Points at the vehicle and says "it's tits mate" :)

:) that was my plan bud. I'd rather work my way from the cheapest and easiest option before going for a full on engine change ha

I'll post up if I get stuck or just bring it to you and do what every driver does. Points at the vehicle and says "it's tits mate" :)

Lol bring it to me if you want mate. You point at yours and say its tits, and I'll do the same with mine :rlol: (if new sparks and clips don't work anyway ;))