The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or manual

Guest Balf86

Guest Balf86

Just curious to opinions of others

Ive never driven an auto before is it worth getting?

More choice onthe market jus dont know weather i should go auto or not?

All of the boxes in the supra are awesome in my opinion, the 5 speed is lovely and smooth and so easy to drive, the 6 speed makes an awesome clunk noise you change gear. The auto box in the TT's is also great especially when it kicks down, makes it feel alot faster, obviously compared to modern autos its not great but it is a 20 year old design and still bloody brilliant. But yes in my opinion the auto box is great, you do loose some interaction with the car not having a manual. But it does make the car incredibly easy to drive.

I have had both an auto & 6 speed an have to say the auto is fantastic. An I have driven a lot of high end cars to still say it fantastic, the kick down & the way it shifts through the gears is so smooth & rapid. So try them both out, as mentioned above the 6 speed is a little clunky but this box was built to handle 1000bhp!!!

Guest Balf86

thanks for the opinions guys, ive never driven auto but cant imagine its going to be difficult. liking the feedbaack im rceiving so may now consider autos!

A triptronic TT is amazing. I'm on my second one now. I don't get the manly feel on changing gear but using the buttons is a decent substitute. Just need to get used how long it takes to change gear once you have pressed the button. It's brilliant in the twisties once you get used to it.

A triptronic TT is amazing. I'm on my second one now. I don't get the manly feel on changing gear but using the buttons is a decent substitute. Just need to get used how long it takes to change gear once you have pressed the button. It's brilliant in the twisties once you get used to it.

:iagree:

All of the boxes in the supra are awesome in my opinion, the 5 speed is lovely and smooth and so easy to drive, the 6 speed makes an awesome clunk noise you change gear. The auto box in the TT's is also great especially when it kicks down, makes it feel alot faster, obviously compared to modern autos its not great but it is a 20 year old design and still bloody brilliant. But yes in my opinion the auto box is great, you do loose some interaction with the car not having a manual. But it does make the car incredibly easy to drive.

nailed it.

5 speed is great. best manual box for the supra but it cant take the power.

6 speed is a clunky and "agricultural"

Auto kickdown is fantastic, smooth and so easy to relaxing to drive. press and go.

iv driven all 3. if you have a single. go for a 6 speed. if you have a tt go auto.

I have never really got on with my Tip. Prefer manual driving rather than buttons or flappy paddles.

i'm a manual man through and through- i didn't even consider an auto on purchase. however, after owning a soop for a good while now i reakon for a road car the auto would be the best choice. even with a little stock NA the w58 can be a pain in the arse- its a big car, so when stuck in traffic and a little on the tired side, i'd love to just slot it into D and let the converter do all the work ;) thats prob just my age though. as others have said give both / all 4 types a try (depending which model you want) and decide from there :)

Well I'm glad this topic has finally come up, as it's never been discussed before. :taped: If only there was some way to search for such threads!

Owned all three boxes, and the manuals are well matched to their respective engines. Get a manual if you want to preserve the future value of your car. It will take a long time to shift an N/A auto, without being very cheap.

OP, would you even be proposing this question if the manual and auto were the same price?

Well I'm glad this topic has finally come up, as it's never been discussed before. :taped: If only there was some way to search for such threads!

I can see how it may get annoying seeing the same topic over and over but clearly this person is new to the thread and some people just aren't quite together when it comes to the Internet. Also I have problems with the search function on my laptop sometimes where regardless of what I type it shows up nothing what so ever. At least be informative rather than sarcastic.

Guest aspire

i went from auto to W58 conversion. the auto box was effortless, however a little boring to drive, i felt the manual option gets you more involved in the driving experience

When looking up supras I always thought I'd be going with a manual :)

However when I found my car I had to see what I was like!

The Tiptronic auto is brilliant! When stuck in traffic or your lost in a city (done it many times) not having to worry about the clutch is great

Then when your pounding it through the twists using the buttons are great, going for over take nothing better than dropping a gear or two and your off :p

But I do always think, what would it of been like with a manual :( cos I do like getting stuck in with the driving

As the guys have said, before buying one you have to try all models available :)

Firstly, nice off topic post that wasn't what the OP asked for.

I can see how it may get annoying seeing the same topic over and over but clearly this person is new to the thread and some people just aren't quite together when it comes to the Internet. Also I have problems with the search function on my laptop sometimes where regardless of what I type it shows up nothing what so ever. At least be informative rather than sarcastic.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/search.php?searchid=2603720

Here you go, search results for "manual" and "auto" within supra chat.

The search on here is fantastic, the parameters you can search within is vast. And rarely will you not find an answer to supra related question you are after, unless it has a useless thread title.

I was very informative in my post and told the OP to get a manual. Ask yourself this: would you have picked a tiptronic(which is just an auto with the "manual" operation moved to buttons on the steering wheel rather than moving the auto shifter, and you still can't properly de-restrict it) over a manual version of your car if everything else was the same, including the price. I don't know anyone who honestly would. I appreciate it's hard for people to admit this, as their cars are their pride and joy.

Put it this way, I currently have an auto TT and would definitely rather have a manual. I also feel I'm appropriately experienced to comment on such a thread having owned both manual(5 speed & 6 speed) and auto boxes.

Ask yourself this: would you have picked a tiptronic(which is just an auto with the "manual" operation moved to buttons on the steering wheel rather than moving the auto shifter, and you still can't properly de-restrict it) over a manual version of your car if everything else was the same, including the price. I don't know anyone who honestly would. I appreciate it's hard for people to admit this, as their cars are their pride and joy.

Yes had the money to go for a TT6 but I honestly wanted a Tiptronic. I wanted an unmolested stock car and my present one ticked all the boxes including the buttons on the steering wheel :p After driving both I fell for the laziness of Tiptronic, The 6 speed box was a little agricultural and clunky and I can imagine tiring if constantly changing gears (In my opinion only:rolleyes:)

For track cars the TT6 must be amazing but touring and the commute (mine is a daily driver) the tiptronic/Auto is brilliant. As others have said its horses for courses. Yes the TT6 hold good value in the club but the joy a Supra is to behold in any guise including NA Auto's:d

I would suggest trying all modes and picking the car which best suits. A molested poorly looked after TT6 (or single)may demand money but a quality TT auto which is genuine would probably be the better car. These cars are old now so test drive a few and pick the best quality car for your money.

Firstly, nice off topic post that wasn't what the OP asked for.

Well then if you're going to be pedantic about it then you're original post was completely off topic. My post was my opinion on the triptronic auto. It was to give the person who created the thread another option to think about if they was not aware of a triptronic auto.

I may not have the experience of driving the manual but I wasn't exactly bias at any point. If you want to go on about off topic posts then I suggest you flag it up to an mod and ask them to put up strict rules on the forum about keeping it on topic. If my post was that off topic and it annoyed you that much then surely you would hate this forum as a lot of the time conversations start up in threads that end up completely unrelated to the original topic.

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/search.php?searchid=2603720

Here you go, search results for "manual" and "auto" within supra chat.

The search on here is fantastic, the parameters you can search within is vast. And rarely will you not find an answer to supra related question you are after, unless it has a useless thread title.

I was very informative in my post and told the OP to get a manual. Ask yourself this: would you have picked a tiptronic(which is just an auto with the "manual" operation moved to buttons on the steering wheel rather than moving the auto shifter, and you still can't properly de-restrict it) over a manual version of your car if everything else was the same, including the price. I don't know anyone who honestly would. I appreciate it's hard for people to admit this, as their cars are their pride and joy.

Put it this way, I currently have an auto TT and would definitely rather have a manual. I also feel I'm appropriately experienced to comment on such a thread having owned both manual(5 speed & 6 speed) and auto boxes.

I find you you very patronising. I stated that sometimes the search function doesn't work at all, regardless of what I put in there. However I agree that most of the time it does quite well. I know full well there are other threads on 'auto vs manual' I don't need you to post a link. Your post was sarcastic. If it was informative then I fail to see how "I'm glad this has came up. It's never been discussed before" is informative.