The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bizarre MOT fail

Soopra

My Supra has just failed its MOT because "Nearside Headlamp insecure" and "Offside Headlamp insecure".

At least that's all it failed on...

And I've never seen anything like that on an MOT fail before.

I shall investigate if the blizzard here lets up and report back...

Is that the bulbs or light units themselves? Guessing the light units.

That is quite bizarre, as I've never seen someone check the secure ness of the headlights. Plus, why fail it? At most its a couple of nuts or bolts to secure them.

Maybe drop Ben SZ-R a PM as he's the resident MOT guru.

There's only one 10mm bolt and two 10mm nuts holding each headlight in. Nice easy fix if it's failed because they're loose and need tightening :)

I imagine it would fail on the basis that if the headlight unit is in secure, it can move up/down etc. and blind on coming traffic? or something along those lines.

Guest aspire

why is it that every other NA owner does'nt have issues getting their NA through the emmision checks. 2 times now mine has failed because they are using the JZA80 GTE model on the data base as they do not hold the JZA80 GE. to the point where i explain they need to fail the first check then do second check as a default check as the import isnt on the database. AAAAARRGGHHH!

why is it that every other NA owner does'nt have issues getting their NA through the emmision checks. 2 times now mine has failed because they are using the JZA80 GTE model on the data base as they do not hold the JZA80 GE. to the point where i explain they need to fail the first check then do second check as a default check as the import isnt on the database. AAAAARRGGHHH!

Mines an NA-TT, but still, I never fail emissions :eyebrows:

I just had this with getting the V8 through. It was failed because they did a cat test for a TT even though it's very clear it isn't!

It should have been defaulted to a non cat test and even though I contacted VOSA who confirmed everything, the garage still wouldn't do it. I ended up taking it somewhere else who had a bit more sense. Very frustrating and wasted a day causing a fair amount of stress in the process too.

The garage that failed the car wouldn't admit they made a mistake in the first place. Never mind, that's another one struck off the list of places to go to!

Guest aspire
I just had this with getting the V8 through. It was failed because they did a cat test for a TT even though it's very clear it isn't!

It should have been defaulted to a non cat test and even though I contacted VOSA who confirmed everything, the garage still wouldn't do it. I ended up taking it somewhere else who had a bit more sense. Very frustrating and wasted a day causing a fair amount of stress in the process too.

The garage that failed the car wouldn't admit they made a mistake in the first place. Never mind, that's another one struck off the list of places to go to!

cheers straightsix, a sensible answer in a sea of nonsense!

There's only one 10mm bolt and two 10mm nuts holding each headlight in. Nice easy fix if it's failed because they're loose and need tightening :)

I imagine it would fail on the basis that if the headlight unit is in secure, it can move up/down etc. and blind on coming traffic? or something along those lines.

I can find the bolt and one of the nuts. does anyone have a picture of where both nuts are please?

I didn't realise it was possible to fail an mot :)

On a side note have you wiggled your headlights? If you have hids it could be the ballast that is loose?

I don't have hids. I have found that someone has tried (badly) to wedge a UK bulb into my JSpec headlight... at least that explains why the aim is out on one side.

One nut is at the top, which I'm guessing is the one you have found. The other is kind of hidden at the bottom. If you remove a light, you will see two threaded lugs, these are what the nuts go on. It's a difficult one to get a picture of though.

One nut is at the top, which I'm guessing is the one you have found. The other is kind of hidden at the bottom. If you remove a light, you will see two threaded lugs, these are what the nuts go on. It's a difficult one to get a picture of though.

thanks, currently the weather is not conducive to searching for difficult to locate nuts :(

As the lady said she didnt ask?

He should have offered to PRS it or said at the end of the test "it's failed on this, but to keep you on the road until you can get it properly repaired, I can do a temporary repair and retest it for you. This is what I intend to do, would you like me to do it?"

Maybe I just like customers to think "oh, he was a helpful chappy! I must tell all my friends!" :rolleyes:

He should have offered to PRS it or said at the end of the test "it's failed on this, but to keep you on the road until you can get it properly repaired, I can do a temporary repair and retest it for you. This is what I intend to do, would you like me to do it?"

Maybe I just like customers to think "oh, he was a helpful chappy! I must tell all my friends!" :rolleyes:

I agree.