The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1JZGTE VVTi Supra - 600WHP Road Legal Track and Drift Car

TOMMO-RH9

Hey everyone,

I was going to leave posting all the details of this project until it was finished...but I’m bored so thought 'why not get the ball rolling'? I always assume that no-one will be interested in what I personally am doing...but then I remembered how much I love reading everyone else's project threads no matter what, so thought I would get involved. :D

Amongst a few random things in my first few years driving (BMW 325 Sport E30, 2x E36 328 Sport's as I was a mechanic for them at the time and the worlds loudest Mk1 Golf GTi 2.0l 16v on throttle bodies), I have owned almost every Japanese car I ever wanted. Due to working in the import trade for a couple years I have owned the following: EK9 Civic Type-R, S13, S14, S15, RX7, Skyline GTR and been lucky enough to spend some time driving a huge raft of imports and demo cars from 500BHP up to 1000BHP+ machines.

The car I have always had the biggest soft spot for was the JZA80 Toyota Supra. Whilst I had driven a 500BHP-odd T78 road car and a 700BHP-odd dog boxed track car example...I never got round to actually having one to call my own.

About a year or so ago I was looking for a new personal project and ended up buying Ryan from 2BarTunings V8 Twin Turbo Demo Car as a rolling shell of this forum. My friend Brad Hacker from Kyouto Drift was kind enough to drive to Ryan's with me one night with one of his trailers and help me pick up the car. I really can't thank Brad and all the other boys from Kyouto Drift enough as not only did they help me come and collect/transport the car...then put it in storage for free for about 9 months at one of their units.

Picking up the car from Ryan was a treat...and also gave me a chance to speak to him about my plans for the car. Was nice to discuss things like Jamie's Supra and the possibilities of the Syvecs ECU. This was when he had just got his R35 and was very excited about the developments he was making. Was good to hear and promised him I would be back for a Syvecs and Mapping in the future - so he wouldn't need to say goodbye to the car for long.

Once I decided to get the project started and on track after its small hibernation period - I had to decide what to do. Whilst I am a fully qualified mechanic and more than capable of doing the work myself...I had sold all my SnapOn stuff and had no space to work on the car. I decided to send it down to Leighton @ Pro-Garage in Bristol. I had met Leighton a few times when I had been out with the Kyouto Drift team doing demo drift sessions at Castle Coombe. He had done some sterling work for the other guys, came highly recommended and was a top bloke to boot! I was sure my car would be in good hands (and to this day am delighted with him and his work). Also cant forget to mention Keron from Extreme Performance who has been a MASSIVE help with all the little bits and bobs.

Now to fill you in on the general aims and plans for the project: Whilst it is going to be purely a drift/track car - it is always going to be used on the road as well so the car will remain road legal and used and abused. I am lucky enough to be able to walk to my current job and have access to a Nissan 350Z for long road trips - so compromise is not really needed. What I am looking to achieve is a stripped out (but high quality) powerful (but useable) track and drift car. Imagine a cross between a Porsche GT3RS and GT2RS but with more power and in a Supra Shell and your almost there haha. I will be aiming for fast spool and around 600BHP at the rear wheels.

I won’t bother to write a full spec until I’m finished as things have been in a constant state of change and refinement, but there are a few bits that are note worthy. I realise none of this is particularly ground breaking...but hard to be unique when the cars have been about so long:

* 1JZGTE VVTi Engine

* R154 5-Speed Box

* Wisefab Front and Rear Hub Kits

* Syvecs S6 ECU (mapped by Ryan @ 2Bartuning of course...)

* Borg Warner EFR 7670 .92AR Turbo

* Carbon Fibre Porsche GT2 Bucket Seats

* Full Weld in Cage from Nickson Motorsport

* Large Weight Reduction All Over with FRP or Carbon Parts for Roof / Bonnet / Bumpers / Arches / Boot / Doors / Poly Windows

I'm just at the stage of getting the car close to running and getting back on the road. Only have issues with a spot of rust on the rear passenger quarter (damn you rear spats which I didn't even want!:rolleyes:) and trying to find the last bits like part numbers for the swan neck I need to make the R154 come into the car in the right place (which I'm really struggling with!).

Here are a few poor quality pictures from the start of the process: Car looking pretty sorry for itself...

All comments and opinions welcome...thanks for looking! :cool:

Tommo

attachment.php?attachmentid=180610&stc=1&d=1391961287

IMG_2180.JPG

Edited by TOMMO-RH9 (see edit history)

This looks like a great project mate, what are the wisefab hub kits for? Never heard of them before.

Wisefab Lock Kits are similar to Driftworks Geomaster Hub kits and are designed primarily with drifting in mind.

See this site for more info: http://www.estperformance.com/products/-Wisefab-Toyota-Supra%7B47%7DSoarer-front-steering-lock-kit.html

This video will show you all you need to know:

Although in all honesty...the lock is amazing...my friends at Kyouto Drift can just cut and re-weld my front knuckles to achieve similar albeit less impressive results. The main reason I am going to get the kits is the fact the hub is mounted about 50-60mm higher than stock. That way you get a lowered car with better grip...however you have better than factory steering arm alignment and better handling. I will do a lot of track driving so this will be a great advantage...however I will do a lot of drifting to so with 66* of lock...i shouldn't spin out too much!

Edited by TOMMO-RH9 (see edit history)

This thread is useful already. :) Looked up Pro Garage, and they are just round the corner... could be handy.

Leighton @ Pro Garage is great and he works with James from Restomod in the same unit doing bodywork. Incredible work, great prices and top blokes. I'd have never found them if not recommend...but 100% worth going to if you need anything done.

be nice to see how much you can push the 1j vvti, i have had my 1j vvti for 5 weeks its a stock soarer but its like driveing a 5l v8 lol.

I will be pushing it...but will still want it responsive and not over the top. If anything does end up going bang...I will just add a 3.0l bottom end.

Nice to hear the 1JZVVTi is good as standard. You enjoying it on the roads?

will be keeping an eye on this :D, 1J vvti is a great engine to use and the route i'd go

cheers mate

When i was buying an engine a 1JZ, 1JZVVTi, 2JZ and a LSV8 where all in contention. Love the JZ sound and thought the VVTi might be most entertaining in the initial stage and all i need later on with hopefully the best combo for response when I upgrade the turbo. At the end of the day i'll probly go 1.5JZ and 3.0litre the bottom end if anything ever goes pop anyway. hopefully this will get moved to the project section and I can keep everyone updated with pics and vids.

Are you going to do anything about the high compression ratio on the 1JZ VVT-i that puts off people going over 1.1 bar or more..

The engine will be done in two stages. The first is just minor stuff now while I will get it back on the road...with full exhaust, induction, FMIC, boost controller, fuel pump etc.

When the next stage happens it will all be done at once - turbo, Syvecs, fuel system etc and will be running at around 1.5 bar. If things need to be changed at that time they will be.

Nice to see that the other Ryan.G ex is going to be used for the track/drift :)

Hopefully get them back together on the track one day.

A great idea and something that I will definately be keen to arrange. Though with the aero and chassis on yours i doubt i'll be able to keep up lol!