The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent help needed west midlands

scott87

I'm hoping there someone who can help. Basically finally got my supra running again now and today I went out to tidy ages things up. However I noticed a tiny speak on the timing belt. I had a closer look and turning it towards me slightly the offside is pretty badly feathered.

I'm asking for someone's help to change it ASAP as its really quite bad. I recently had all of my tools stolen from my lockup so have no means of doing it alone. So really hoping there is someone who can offer assistance! :)

Firstly I take it you are talking about the auxiliary belt and not the timing belt?

Assuming this, it's probably worth checking the crank pulley as well, it will probably be the cause of the frayed aux belt due to being out of alignment.

If this is the case then it is time to change the crank pulley.

As above Scott, is it the aux belt or timing belt?

You can pick a timing kit up for around £70 and an aux bet up for £20?

Crank pulley is not so cheap!

Timing belt the aux belt is fine, old but fine.

Im amazed as i checked the belt a few months ago and it was fine, its now looking terrible! :blink:

May I suggest buying a timing belt kit then from importcarparts-get the gates one as this is OEM quality and you may need to check your crank pulley for deterioration too.

Let me know when you have the bits and ill help you sort it.

Where abouts are you based?

Can I ask why your timing belt is so easily visible?

Guide to changing timing belt here.

The timing belt on the supra is very robust and rarely fails, in fact the only failure I can see through using the search on here relates to something getting inside the cam belt cover(a screw in that particular case). Is there a chance something could have got into your cam belt?

May I suggest buying a timing belt kit then from importcarparts-get the gates one as this is OEM quality and you may need to check your crank pulley for deterioration too.

Let me know when you have the bits and ill help you sort it.

Where abouts are you based?

The crank pulley has the tipex mark on it and this hasnt moved since owning the car so seems ok. The only small issue i have there is the idler on the aux belt was sticking slightly but is fine now.

Im based in Coventry, although i think i may stop using the car until i drive to you, really shocked at the rate of deterioration!

Here are the pics,

Can I ask why your timing belt is so easily visible?

Guide to changing timing belt here.

The timing belt on the supra is very robust and rarely fails, in fact the only failure I can see through using the search on here relates to something getting inside the cam belt cover(a screw in that particular case). Is there a chance something could have got into your cam belt?

I took the cover off to get to the plugs.

Makes perfect sense now. I was reading too much into it and thought you were running without one. :)

Strange looking belt, have you checked the belt tensioner?

No it started raining, im guessing its highly likely the belt was changed and not the tensioner/pulley and this has started failing causing pull on the belt? It was not looking like this a couple of months ago so something has gone or given out quite quickly.

I've never had an o/e belt go like that, do you know how old it is ?

I dont have much history for the car so not entirely sure. But when i bought the car me and mark inspected the belt closely and it looked fairly new, all of the writing was clear and clean on it and there were no signs of heavy use on the belt at all.

I'm sure I've heard stories of people buying new cam belts from Mr. T and they have arrived looking the same as in the pics above. I'm not sure I'd be happy with it like that though!

Yeah ive seen threads on here about members buying the belt checking before fitting and returning the belt to toyota, only to get another exactly the same, if they pass quality control then i guess it should be fine