The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilover setup...HELP Please

DodgyRog

I have done a search and read through about 30 different short threads, but can't find the basic info I am after

Or not in a language I can work out anyway

I have HSD MonoPro Coilovers

They have adjustment for Height Pre-load and adjustable damping

This is where the questions start

I have the damping on 12 of 16, so I can still go stiffer, but I was still scrubing on the way home

The scrubing happened mainly through dips in the road at speed

I will try it on a stiffer setting, but will changing the Pre-Load help and if so how......I like to understand what I am doing rather than just doing what I am told

I need to get the whole suspension set to be very stiff before putting the new rims on, so that is the target. The pre-load has me a little confused to be honest

So that's really what I am asking about and how to get the stiffness to be able to run a tyre close to the arch

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

I believe HSD do not recommend upping the preload, and when installing they need only minor preload. But I don't know if it will do any harm when you increase the preload.

edit: and yes, you will need to screw the 2 collars up for more preload.

Edited by Jos (see edit history)

I believe HSD do not recommend upping the preload, and when installing they need only minor preload. But I don't know if it will do any harm when you increase the preload.

edit: and yes, you will need to screw the 2 collars up for more preload.

So is the only way to make them stiff is to up the damping, surely this will still allow a fair bit of movement in the spring on a prolonged dip

Have you already tried the firmest setting? I know someone who recently bought a set and had the same problem as you, but setting it on the hardest setting solved that.

Or maybe try to get stiffer springs from driftworks?

Have you already tried the firmest setting? I know someone who recently bought a set and had the same problem as you, but setting it on the hardest setting solved that.

Or maybe try to get stiffer springs from driftworks?

No I have not tried the firmest setting yet, so I will try that, but my understanding of how the suspension works (which is limited) leaves me thinking it won't solve the long dip at speed problem, that's why I was asking how the pre-load thing works, as that is related to the spring which is the part related to the problem

Yes as said don't try and compensate with just harder damping, if you can raise the ride hight a bit, it might well cure the problem, failing that you can increase the preload, however no by too much and you will then have to increase the damping force to compensate, so you will end up with a very hard ride, and may run out of damping adjustment.

I am going to try a combination of a very slight increase in the Pre-Load and raise the height a touch as well

I never really push the car that hard, so don't need the perfect suspension setup,

I can live with a slight comprise to make these huge rims fit lol

Spring rate keeps the chassis from dropping lower, damper settings adjust how fast the chassis attains its new position. Using spring rate or damper settings to stop a tyre rubbing is sheer and utter madness. A tyre should not rub anywhere from full droop to full compression, hard on the bumpstops. In the case of a front wheel, also from lock to lock during the previous extreme movements.

Spring rate keeps the chassis from dropping lower, damper settings adjust how fast the chassis attains its new position. Using spring rate or damper settings to stop a tyre rubbing is sheer and utter madness. A tyre should not rub anywhere from full droop to full compression, hard on the bumpstops. In the case of a front wheel, also from lock to lock during the previous extreme movements.

I think the slight rub on the front is due to the Arch liner hanging down slightly inside the arch where the overfenders don't have anywhere to fix them to, but I have a solution to try for that, but I just don't seem to have any time to do it at the moment

The rear is again an issue that maybe solvable in a bodywork way, but for the time being I am just going to raise the back upto a more stock level, as it is a bit low at the moment and that should solve it until I can try the other way

Thanks for the reply Chris

I do understand