The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bilstein Sprint Perches

zedhex

I have a set of Bilstein B4s on my car, but the previous owner fitted a set of springs which provide a very low ride height - around 40mm lower than stock. I would like to raise it by about 20mm all round by raising the spring perch slightly, but what is the best/easiest way of doing this?

I think I have three options:

1. Buy stiffer springs.

2. Get higher grooves machined into the shocks and move the perch mounting circlips up.

3. Get bigger perches.

I don't like option one, as I think the current spring rate is hard enough already. I have heard of people in the US using coilover sleeves, but they seem to be a bit of a hack to me - a lot of extra stuff to break/rot (not to mention the exchange rate with the US has driven the shipping costs way too high). Option 2 seems viable, but how thick are the tube walls? would I weaken them? how much further up should I go? Option 3 would be nice, but I cannot find anywhere that makes them.

Has anyone got any further ideas?

i spoke to Chris not long ago on this very subject as I was struggling to get a combination I liked on my NA.

He certainly does do the machining for the spring seats...... but 20mm change in the spring seat won't give you a 20mm drop at the wheel, as the shock levers on the lower arm part way down it. I never thought of this until speaking to chris- double wishbone has a lot more to think about than mac struts! ;)

I forget the exact details but I think he said he could machine 3 new seat grooves (so i could play until happy) in my bilsteins for £40 a shock. HTH