The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how many people are still running a W58 behind 2jzgte or na-t

Guest supraman006

Guest supraman006

just want to find out if the w58 would be ok for everyday use behind my 2jzgte +- 350 whp not going to be dragging it or launching it at 6000 rpm.thanks

Guest supraman006

Ok cool because iv just got myself a jdm 2jzgte looking to do the swap next month and heard many good and bad storys so just thought I would ask people who have done it. Anyone got some good info on a clutch setup I hear stock clutch could handel 300 bhp is this true? Only going to be running .6 bar (10psi) to start off isn't there another toyota clutch plate I could match up that has more clamping force?what are u guys useing on your w58's?

Guest supraman006

Well all I have is my w58 at the moment an where I'm from can't really get those gearboxes so ill use what iv got for now just need a decent w58 clutch setup.

If you want a marginal gear box to survive excess torque run a sprung hub clutch with JUST enough clamping pressure not to slip under full torque, but no more. Puck clutches, multi plate clutches, and clutches with no sprung hub will make failure more likely. As will driving like in some extreme video game ;) Shock loads are what USUALLY kill them.

• 2 weeks later...
i think a lot is luck of the draw, i know someone who went through 3 w58's on a 365bhp NA-T setup

Think it has more to do with how you use these w58's...

Like James mentioned he is driving it for a while now, I'm , a couple of friends of my are running it as well, no problems there!

Hard pulls & crazy shifts will most likely kill it...

Think it has more to do with how you use these w58's...

Like James mentioned he is driving it for a while now, I'm , a couple of friends of my are running it as well, no problems there!

Hard pulls & crazy shifts will most likely kill it...

What's the point in doing the conversion if you can't drive it hard? :blink: might as well stick with a TT auto box if you're on a budget, they're much stronger.

If you want a marginal gear box to survive excess torque run a sprung hub clutch with JUST enough clamping pressure not to slip under full torque, but no more.

Puck clutches, multi plate clutches, and clutches with no sprung hub will make failure more likely.

^^^ This is very good advice

What's the point in doing the conversion if you can't drive it hard? :blink: might as well stick with a TT auto box if you're on a budget, they're much stronger.

This. What's the point if you can't drive it hard, drag race, track it, drift it etc

I wouldn't want to have a car where I would be worried about the gear box lasting each time I drive it. The other think to mention is people's definitions of being driven hard. I get the feeling some who drive it "hard" would consider others(probably including myself) to be damn right abusive when driving a car hard. It's all relative to what you are used too.