The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake caliper repair Kits?

MattP

Looking for some guidance on a brake caliper repair kit for all my Supra Calipers the brakes are the small J specs 2 pots front 1 pot rears can anybody point me in the right direction?

# I do not wish to buy second hand calipers no matter how cheap I wish to use these ones and I am not interested in a bigger brake set up its an N/A :(

# I am aware chris Wilson will refurb them but I want to do it myself to save many dollar as I have just bought 4 new calipers for the mr2

# I am aware of the BIG RED kits on fleabay but they don't say which kit is the right one

I have read the thread on here of how to do the calipers I merely need pointing to a good kit any help appreciated.

Owners Club Guide for Small J-Specs>>>>>http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?107717-Refurbing-J-Spec-Brakes

Regards Matt

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Are the seals difficult to change and would you advise new pistons or clean the old ones?

Depends, is there is any corrosion on the pistons (other than the top)? if not you should be able to get away with re-using them with a bit of a clean up with wet and dry sandpaper.

Seals are easy to change, just make sure you use plenty of lubrication when re-inserting the pistons, there is a grease you can buy for this or if not use plenty of brake fluid. The dust seals were a bigger PITA in my opinion.

The hardest bit is geting the front pistons out if they are already on offf the car. The rears and one of the fronts you can push out through the banjo bolt hole, but the second front piston can be a pain if you don't have access to an air compressor to blow them out.