The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smoothing out the lines

jackso11

Looks ok so long as its done properly. The only problem is if anything needs to be changed, its a lot more work and cost to do.

Because my trial rear is blended in, I can't get to my fuel tank, as an example. (Previous owners oversight, not mine)

Looks ok so long as its done properly. The only problem is if anything needs to be changed, its a lot more work and cost to do.

Because my trial rear is blended in, I can't get to my fuel tank, as an example. (Previous owners oversight, not mine)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w520/listy35/DSC00571-1_zpsf5f82d64.jpg

Thats true, hadn't really though about taking the bumper off to get to things, just thought about what would happen if I dented a quarter or something...larger repair but still not too bad. Then again, I have had supras for 8 years now and never needed to take a rear bumper off yet :)

BTW

I like those wings, what are they?

It will be a lot of work, but I have a little run around now so it will sit in the back of the work shop and get done when we can fit it in around other things. It will be done very well :) My guys are used to working on things that need to be spot on, we have 2 Bentley continental GTs and a Rolls Royce in at the moment....along with the rest of the everyday cars :D

ermmmm! :)

Lol only joking, i think yours and Mplaverys show it can be done to look awesome BUT it needs to be done correctly to work, alot of work and easily messed up

:spank: How dare you! lol.

Yeah I agree it is a LOT of work but if you do it properly it will be just fine. Use body sealent and rivets to bond the panel to the body then fibreglass the bonded parts on with great care to detail etching all the surfaces the fibreglass covers which will make the join stronger than the panel itself :)

I wasnt worried about taking panels off as the skirts dont ever need to come off imo and neither does the rear bumper if everything looks good behind. I replaced my fuel tank cover and undersealed the rear of the car before it was bonded on for good incase something started to rot. Even then I can always cut the difuser from the trial rear to access everything then just rivet it back on neatly for a different kind of look :D

Everyone says about cracking, i've had mine done 6 years ago, been on a few track days a year still no cracking.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/downimpact/mkivsupra26771024x680_zps2a622fa5.jpg

Nice car! As said I doubt it will crack if done correctly. JamiePs wide Nur arches were bonded on and they never cracked with the insane power put through the chassis, it didnt looked rubbish either.

Nice car! As said I doubt it will crack if done correctly. JamiePs wide Nur arches were bonded on and they never cracked with the insane power put through the chassis, it didnt looked rubbish either.

I have Nur Arches…. They flex and over time the edges of the carbon become visible as do the rivets used to hold them on. Mine have a tiny crack at the very back near the lights and they need re-doing. Jamie has his arches re-done 1-2 times for similar reasons, last time I saw that car they need re-doing again, as do mine. When I get some time I eventually mean to re-create them in metal and weld them on...

Anyway, on topic! Certain areas will crack, other less stressed area's won't. Blend if you want, but bearing in mind a top quality respray is going to set you back at least 4 grand.. it's something I wouldn't want to do any more often than I needed to!

Thanks, what sold blending for me was Matt H wrote off his car, but all the blending remained crack free even after the heavy shunt.

• 8 months later...