The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I HATE insurance companies...

Twisted

As you know last Saturday a young lady kindly smashed into my Supra. I believe it to be a write off but regardless of my opinion the insurance still need to send out an independent engineer obviously. I've been hassling them all week "when will you be looking at my car?", "What are you doing with it?" etc etc. Eventually yesterday I got the information out of them that they sent the engineer to look at it that day and the report is expected on SUNDAY!!!! It wont take any garage 3 days to inspect a car.

Then a littler earlier on today I received a call from the guy inspecting my car

- "Can I get the spec of the car please? I haven't been able to get in to look at it because where it is being kept is locked and the prices on the internet vary quite a lot and I can't find a 2000 model anywhere"

:blink:

Now not only is the spec on the insurance policy but I have also told the insurance 3 times what the spec is.

I ask - "Did the insurance not send it through" (maybe he just wanted to confirm) the reply

- "They tried but it hasn't came through properly. It seems no one there knows how to do anything"

AND I have been told they will not look online to find a market price because it's an import but the engineer is looking online!

I then tell him about ONE supra I've found which is exactly the same apart from it has a body kit and alloys and told him it's up for £10,000, I know the guy who is selling it ;). To which he replies "If it is worth that much then we have more to play with to fix it, but if it was £5000 it is likely it would be uneconomical for us to repair" now this guy is meant to be "INDEPENDENT" but to me that says he is part of the insurance company. Am I right to think this or just over thinking?

All of this has very much annoyed me and I will be smashing the insurance company for all this. I'm thinking now that I can say to them the only way I can get the same car back with a standard body is to import one,. Either that or I buy one of the UK market and they provide me with the money to replace everything back to standard providing it's a write off and I will be pushing to get over £10,000 off them or at least some free or heavily discounted stuff.

I now effectively have to wait an extra day until I receive the engineers report. AAAAHHHHH!!!

What is the general price to import a supra like mine?

40,000 miles, vvti, TT, auto triptronic, standard.

I know it is probably optimistic to get the insurance company to pay out the price of importing but its worth a try.

Sorry to hear things arn't going very smoothly with the insurance dude, the last thing you want after having your car smashed into in the first place :(

I hate waiting for things as well, hopefully it's good news when they do come back to you, but all sounds very hap-hazard with the inspecting & vehicle info :S

I don't understand why it is taking so long! I report I've had a crash at 1400 that day, they ask all details, arrange a courtesy car, find out where the car is and send someone to look at it, talk to the other party (who is with the same insurance company) just after sorting me out (first come first serve), find out her details, where the car is etc and do the stuff for her, then provide us with a free phone number (its so far cost me an extra £20 on my mobile bill), and get back to us each day, via text/call to tell us what is happening, and decide on whos fault it is whilst we are waiting. It is less than a few hours work and the rest is a waiting game for the engineers to assess the cars and get back to us. probably 3 - 4 days MAX! It's not that hard really is it!?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll look on Jurgens site now. Cheers lads :)

After my wife got hit by a drunk driver i was told that the car wil be checked over by an independent inspector, after looking over her car he said yes, it was in mint condition

before the crash,he looked at all the service h, then told us we will get the full price back,we waited a few weeks and got an offer that was less than half the price they were fetching on the trader.

I gave them a bell and had a good row as you do,found out he was not independent at all and i said i'd see them in court,in the end they said prove the price by sending in adds out of the trader,piston h, or any other place,i found plenty, posted them off and got more than the car was worth in the end and i got to keep the old car.

It's a fight to the death with insurance companies,they love to take the cash off you each year but will fight untill the end not to pay the full price.

I totally understand where you are coming from. Some of you may remember my thread from a little while back.

My crash was on the 01/02/2013. The man who T-boned the Supe admitted full liability and we received a letter re same from his insurance about 4 days later (it was over a weekend).

We are now about 5 weeks later and the solicitors have now been instructed to take this to court. Hopefully this will gee up the other side to finally respond. There's not been any inspection of my car (it's still sat on my drive since the accident) and no bartering at all.

I've continually had to chase everyone for updates as I feel like I've been left in the dark. I even wrote telling them of my annoyance over the whole situation and that I would not accept a write-off under any circumstances (not even with a buy-back option). For a car with bodywork damage only, I feel so miffed. I'm not in the least at fault and I feel like I'm the one losing out.

On the plus I'm now on my second hire car... first was a 7 seater Galaxy... now a Jetta. It's been interesting.... frustrating... and many other less forum-friendly descriptives!

If you need a true independent report I can give you the details of the company that helped me get full market value for my car (£11500 at the time) they did a desk report which was £40 i think but worth every penny as the insurance where trying to shaft me...