The mkiv Supra Owners Club

0-60mph times??

npotts

Hi guys

I have just purchased a '96 NA Supra, and am wondering about performance information regarding this type of car. It doesnt have any mods and is standard apart from a larger exhaust and body kit....

Can anyone tell me what sort of 0-60mph times this car would be capable of?? Also, what top speed would this car do (assuming the limiter has been removed)??

I only seem to be able to find performance figures for the awesome TT!!

Thanks

Nick

The stated figures in Toyota brochures at the tiime put the NA 0-60 time at 6.5sec. With the j-spec TT-6 being 5.1 and the uk-spec TT-6 being 4.9, and uk-spec Auto being 5.5

But in the real world it doesn't mean that those figures should be taken as being written in stone because it all comes down to the test conditions at the time of measurement.

Besides how long is it going to be before you mod the engine in someway? In which the 'official' stock figures go out the window.

Cheers for the help mate.....

Regarding the engine mods - I was unsure as to what exactly can be done on an NA? I have read alot of articles on TT mods, but not much on improving NA's (with the exception of adding NOS)....

Do you know of many engine mods to improve the performance of and NA??

Finally - anyone know the top speed of my NA??? (just out of interest)....

Thanks in advance!

Nick

The NA's are much harder to mod and get the same power increases that you see on the TT. A couple of NA owners have spent quite a bit just getting their cars up to 260bhp.

To be honest if you wanted big power you should have gone for the TT.

If you're more than happy with you NA, treat it to a nice full decat and an aftermarket exhaust. It will give you a small power increase and the sound will be amazing.

Have a look at this thread for more info :)

Aftermarket induction kit will probably actually drop a little bit of power (although sounds better), only really worthwhile power-increasing mod that gives bang for the buck is a full decat with slightly more free-flowing aftermarket exhaust. Obviously you can still do things to make it corner faster (and hence quicker).

Top speed is above.

:looney:

Thanks for that guys...

Can I ask about "de-catting"? I am a motorbike fan, and have little knowledge on cars to be honest. Would this cost much to do??

Is this something that needs to be done by a professional? How can I tell if it has been done before? Will it effect the MOT come next June?

Sorry alot of questions - I appreciate your time in replying again!!

Thanks

Nick

If your car is stock, you'll have two catalytic converters in your exhaust system, which are there to reduce emissions. Replacing them with decat pipes gives you an unrestricted exhaust and hence a little more grunt (and a lot more sound, particuarly with an aftermarket big-bore exhaust). Unfortunately you will probably fail an MOT with neither cat in (I passed 5 out of 6 emissions readings with no cats, so it's hardly polluting the planet). In which case you need to pop a cat back on for your MOT (the rear one can be exchanged very easily). Chris Wilson, a well-respected trader on here, sells decat pipes for the NA, as do a few others. Think they cost in the £250-300 ballpark. TT decat pipes are not compatable.

HTH

:looney:

Originally posted by npotts

Thanks Lust2Luv!!

Great tips....

I already have an aftermarket exhaust on the car, but as to whether or not the cats have been removed is anyones guess!!

I suppose the best thing to do would be to take it to a pro who can let me know!!

Nick

Has your car deafened you? If not it may well still have its cats in :D

erm not quite deafened me. Its louder than a normal car (if there is such a thing), but it isnt deafening.....

I guess I should get it looked at...

What do you guys do if you have taken the cats out and your MOT is coming up??? Is it easy to put them back in??

Nick

Guest Rays the roof

Hi mate,

Don't bother changing stock air filter (no point, unless you want engine to look a little prettier!)!

I am looking at decatting too, but can't afford the £350. Decatting basically is removing the section of exhaust that converts pollutants such as carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons into LESS harmful gases. You replace it with a piece of pipe. So it is relatively easy to put the 'cats' back on for an MOT.

I am looking to fabricate the pipework using an engineering college my father teaches at. Once I have a price will let you know!

Try using Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate for power increase! If you only currently use normal unleaded the increase in performance is very noticeable,for about a 5p per litre premium.

Enjoy your new babe.

Ray

Hey thanks for the tip Ray!!

I have just filled up the tank with Shell Optimax this morning, after reading several subjects on it at this site.

I didnt realise that it would make that much difference to be honest and thought that it would only improve the engines lifetime or something...

Can I ask anybody, whether or not I will have to reset the ECU because of adding Optimax? I dont know what has been put in it since it came over here from Japan in June this year, but am assuming it was the cheaper stuff..... Will this have an effect???

(maybe this is why I get that warning light appear - sorry thats from another question I placed on this site!!!)

I have alot to learn!!!

Thanks

Nick

The main area to target for a NA to get better 0-60 times is weight of the car. If you can chuck out as much weight as you can then this will have a much better effect than spending 1000's on a few bhp increases to get the same result.

So things like rear seats, stock 16" wheels as opposed to heavy 19's etc. etc.

One of the Newcastle guys used to have a NA which accelerated really quick. I think it had a lightened flywheel aswell as a high-flow exhaust. (This should be the areas to spend the dosh on I would say as opposed to expensive engine mods).

im just thinking of stripping out my rear seats to help take some weight out of car. the rear seats are of no use to anyone. sitting in my normal driving position it only leaves about 3" space from back of my seat to front of rear seats. can just about get a childs leg in there. like to know what toyota were thinking about when they made them?

a guy on supra forums has over 350 hp on a n/a if i remember right.

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

like to know what toyota were thinking about when they made them?

You've never looked in the back of an RX-7 then. Even with a short-arse driving there is no rear leg room.

I'd get our two kids in the back, the youngest with his feet up behind me.

BTW have you ever noticed that the passenger footwell is a few inches shorter than the drivers. Down to the ECU's I guess.

Guest Rays the roof
Originally posted by MONKEYmark

im just thinking of stripping out my rear seats to help take some weight out of car. the rear seats are of no use to anyone. sitting in my normal driving position it only leaves about 3" space from back of my seat to front of rear seats. can just about get a childs leg in there. like to know what toyota were thinking about when they made them?

/B]

Toyota, Japanese, average height 3 foot something....! Q answered. They can get about 30 people in a telephone box and so 7 or 8 in a Soop is no problem...LOL

:innocent:

Originally posted by npotts

Thanks Lust2Luv!!

Great tips....

I already have an aftermarket exhaust on the car, but as to whether or not the cats have been removed is anyones guess!!

I suppose the best thing to do would be to take it to a pro who can let me know!!

Nick

I have N/A de cat pipes in stock and can fit while you wait. Having already got a freer flowing exhaust it's crying out to be de catted. It's about the only cost effective mod you can do on the N/A to gain some more performance. IMO NOS is strictly for the brave... :innocent:

My de cat pipes are made in 2 sections, the reason for this is so you can easily refit the second cat for an MOT test. Even with only the second cat in situ it will easily pass a genuine MOT emissions test. Some cars will scrape through with no cats at all... About 12 / 15 minutes to refit the second cat on a ramp. Less than1/2 hour on the deck with a decent jack and axle stands.

Thanks for the info Chris.

I would be interested in purchasing one of your exhausts off you for sure. Unfortunately it wont be till after christmas, what with just purchasing two new cars, and having to save up abit!

Can you let me know what sort of costs I would be looking at though, and I will put your contact details somewhere safe for the start of the new year?

Thanks

Nick