The mkiv Supra Owners Club

95 N/A Engine Warning light

scott87

I went out for a bit of a drive this morning whilst delivering a few things, only opened her up properly once, when a friendly policeman wanted a bit of a race :blink:

anyway i parked up after, turned the engine off, delivered the bits then off i went. Pulling away from some lights (slowly), the big red "!" pops up on the dash in the middle or the rpm and also the little orange engine light. Both stayed on for the 2 miles i had to drive home and during this time the car performed as it should, engine temps all fine etc etc.

These are the lights that are on when i turn the ignition the first couple clicks before cranking.

I started the car again and the warning light had gone off? But just to confirm it was the the orange engine one and "!" that came on whilst driving.

The engine oil looks fine, apart form being close to needing changing, the coolant is fine as were the engine temps according to the dash, the brake fluid is full although this is in desperate need of being changed for new fluid, but it is full.

Any help would be great please.

Ok i know where the knock sensor is meant to be, but i really am struggling to see it?

Has anyone done this job before, preferably someone local to possibly lend a hand so i can check the integrity of the wiring between the ecu and the sensor.

Also after some reading i have noticed people commenting that faulty wiring for this or the sensor being duff can lead to a reduced fuel efficiency? Is this correct as my mpg has reduced somewhat over the past few weeks?!

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

Hmmm in one post you say crank and in the next you say knock?? There is a rear knock sensor mate is that what you meant?

Sorry its the rear crank knock sensor.

My question is now. What should i do.....

I have removed the plug and cleaned it and checked the wiring which is all intact. The sensor itself also looks to be in good condition but this means nothing really. I removed the battery terminal to reset the ecu after doing this but the warning light came on again.

Should i:

a) Replace the sensor - Seems to be rare for these to fail

b) Check the plugs to see if any are white for a lean running cylinder,

b2) Then check the injectors/injector o rings?

c) None of the above.

I also have a slightly dodgy ignitor however this hasnt played up for the last week although i cant see how this would affect the problem im having. The entire ignition system was also replaced a little over half a year ago so this is all in tip top condition.

I should add the car is feeling a tad sluggish now when the warning light is on but i assume this is because the retard timing has been set to maximum to protect the engine.

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

If anyone is close to Coventry and has a spare sensor and some tools (I had mine pinched)! it would be a great help. Desperately need my car as its a daily and at the moment its not really useable in its full retard mode :blink:

Another addition, i assume that in full retard mode, the fuel consumption would be affected?