The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone Fitted A Car Alarm Before?

a98pmalcolm

I managed to get my hands on the full installation info for my alarm with car specific information on wiring and splicing points so made fitting the alarm a doddle.

At the minimum your alarm should have it's own manufacturer wiring diagram so take your time and use the Supra wiring diagrams along with a multimeter.

If you're really not competent with wiring, leave it to an expert or you'll end up with a mess.

If you were closer, I would do it for you.

Not wishing to p on your parade, but most insurance companies require proof of fitting and Thatcham compliant. You could fit yourself, but it won't hit the computer register that ins companies rely on. All well and good initially, but could see the Insurance Co rejecting a theft claim! Be careful!

Not wishing to p on your parade, but most insurance companies require proof of fitting and Thatcham compliant. You could fit yourself, but it won't hit the computer register that ins companies rely on. All well and good initially, but could see the Insurance Co rejecting a theft claim! Be careful!

Ive never been asked for proof of instillation. But that is a very good point!

About £400 of your English pounds will see a thatcham compliant system fitted to your beast by an accreditted company. Why risk it when with import duty and postage, the system you fancy will be the same cost. And more importantly will it be Thatcham approved?

Saying that i just checked, my little thatcham thing is pre stamped, must have been stamped and then sold to me! Not going to advise this even though i havent been asked for it ever!

I know of many alarm units being sold with prestamped certificates.

Whenever I've been asked to show proof of fitting for insurance purposes, it has always been to supply the certificate - there's never been a computer based check.

I have been a sparky for a long time now though!