The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finally put my new front brakes on.

Shane

Have been waiting for some better weather to fit the LS400 4 pots on, well manged to do it yesterday. Only done a few miles so far so cant really say what the difference is, but hopefully will have chance to put them to the test soon, once they have settled in.

Before

After

Am a little bit uncomfortable with how close the inside of my wheel is to the caliper though and may need to consider what can be done, its so close, the paint on the caliper has had a layer shaved off when the wheel has passed over it!

I dont really want to use conventional cheapie spacers as I have never really had much success with them in the past, although I have had a look around to see what's available and the thinnest I can find is 3mm, I probably only need a 1mm just to give me tthat little bit of extra clearance. Any suggestions?

Edited by Shane
typo and deleted an incorrect bit (see edit history)

Am a little bit uncomfortable with how close the inside of my wheel is to the caliper though and may need to consider what can be done, its so close, the paint on the caliper has had a layer shaved off when the wheel has passed over it!

Ouch! Careful with that one matey!!

They look 100% better though, so maybe treat yourself to some new rims too? :innocent:

Thanks for the comments. My son suggested grinding a little off the face of the caliper yesterday but some how felt that to be a bit harsh, but looks like after these comments I should go for it. To be honest the alloy used on the Lexus calipers is so light and soft I dont think I would need to use much more than a flat file to take enough off.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

How long did this job take you as I have new calipers for mine ? Any issues when changing over?

About 2 hours from start to finish and that was a relaxed 2 hours with no rushing. No issues other than the slightest of rubbing I had the first time I spun the wheel as mentioned in the first post. I had read up on it first and was aware that I needed to file a tiny bit of the housing off to get the bolt holes to line up properly and I had everything I needed to hand.

Also I decided to lose the dust/heat sheild rather than to modify it to allow clear the larger discs. I guess it would take a bit longer if you intend to leave the shield on and modify it. I also had the correct slightly shorter caliper bolts you need for the LS400 calipers, so again if you intended to shorten the Supra bolts this would take a little longer. If using UK spec supra calipers rather than the Lexus ones, then you wouldn't need to modify the caliper at all and it would be a direct fit.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

Thanks that's useful to know, mine are the uk ones. I think with a 3mm spacer you would be fine with standard bolts if you didn't want to shave 1mm off the caliper

Good luck with yours then. Are you planing on removing the tin shield or modifying it? At least you dont need to worrry about short bolts and filling bits off as yours wil be a direct fit.

I will take a look at the weekend and decide wether to use spacers or to shave a bit off. Always found spacers to be a bit hit and miss and a bit problematic with balancing and wobble etc, although if I used only a 3mm spacer the wheel rim would still sit on the hub correctly I would think.

Edited by Shane
typo correct (see edit history)

Let me know how your finding them Shane' date=' mine feel a little spongey. Seems to be quite a bit of calliper flex on the front of mine.[/quote']

Oh dear, that doesnt sound good! Only driven it from Burton Lat to Irthlingborough since I fitted them so way too early to say yet, but will let you know. Did you lose the dust shield thing when you fitted yours?

Oh dear, that doesnt sound good! Only driven it from Burton Lat to Irthlingborough since I fitted them so way too early to say yet, but will let you know. Did you lose the dust shield thing when you fitted yours?

Tool the dust shield off completely, I had no need for it, all the pistons are moving fine, I'll double check over it this weekend if I get a chance. Have you had a chance to drive or anymore or have you been off jet setting again?!