The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removed the vinyl wrap today... and some paint (pics)

charlton

Spent all day today removing the Dragonball vinyl from my Supra before the heat gun packed in. It was successful for most of it, however, there are a few places that the paint decided to come with it. My plan was to take the Supe to Christian/Stonkin @ Invisible Touch for a good detailing after removing the wrap but as there is no paint in places I now think this is beyond his paint correction :D The paint is down to the bone in places and there's a couple of spots where its removed the lacquer.

I am going to check out Chips Away tomorrow to see what they can do, any recommendations for sprayers around Surrey or an alternative plan of attack?

Before

attachment.php?attachmentid=165253&d=1362349911

During, with missing paint on the rear quarters

attachment.php?attachmentid=165254&d=1362349924

After

attachment.php?attachmentid=165255&d=1362349997

IMG_2230.jpg IMG_2253.jpg IMG_2257.jpg

Wrapping cars doesn't look so appealing now!

They're good till they come off, and you find scores and cuts underneath as well

Dont mean to sound like a nob But i liked it better with the wrap on ;)

Is it just the few small patches above the sidepod holes? if so that doesnt look too bad big area too try and blend the paint in.

I think I preferred it with the wrap on too!! That last pic is a poor pic, it looks much better in person. There's a bit more on the door too and a little more on the other side but not as bad, along with a few other touch ups I might as well respray the whole thing.

What type of wrap was used?

Not sure what type, it was pretty easy to remove and didn't leave much adhesive... on the paint it left behind!

Baldy is down Crawley way and knows the Supra's and does a quality job by all accounts...

Thank you, I will give him a PM

That puts me completely off the idea of a wrap! Shocking!

Do they tell you this is a possibility when applying it!?

I bought it with the wrap on so I have no idea, I thought about wrapping before but I definitely wont do it now unless I don't plan to remove it

you have to keep the wrap warm at all times when peeling , if it goes cold it hardens up , you then naturally pull harder and off comes the paint , thread on here about an M3 i did took two days , owner had bought it with it on , no cuts to the paint , he was well chuffed

This is very true. All the guides and tutorials I have seen tell you to only attempt either application or removal in the warm. When I was under mine on Sunday there is a small amount underneath the wheel spats that didnt stick down properly when I put it on and I was amazed at how brittle it felt in the cold.

I used a space heater on my car as i had a clear stone chip

protection wrap on the front end and that worked a treat.

Or if you can get access to one a heated spray booth would

definitely help warm the panels and the wrap then go round

with a heat gun

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Wrapping cars doesn't look so appealing now!

Don't you mean a peeling?

Baldy is down Crawley way and knows the Supra's and does a quality job by all accounts...

Looking at his work, that is exactly where I would go. Wraps look great but long term I don't think they are worth the hassle. I thought about having ours done fro DB but decided against it.

H.

you have to keep the wrap warm at all times when peeling , if it goes cold it hardens up , you then naturally pull harder and off comes the paint , thread on here about an M3 i did took two days , owner had bought it with it on , no cuts to the paint , he was well chuffed

The wrap was warm and was peeling off nicely, didn't get it too hot as my hand was there and I still have hairy knuckles :D

Ahhh I did not know you were the same person who owns the white VS supra .... Sorry im a little slow sometimes lol...Saw you in byfleet few weeks ago in the Dragonball Supra

How is your VS Supra doing, one of my favorite VS Supra's !

Thank you, that means a lot as your Supra is stunning! I guess you wasn't in your Supra as I would of spotted that a mile off, I've only had this a few weeks so I'm still getting used to everything. The VS has a couple of issues, the heater matrix has died and the idle control valve needs cleaning then it will be up for sale - oh and it's an NA! It's going to hurt selling it, I'm quite happy to keep it on the drive as an ornament

Don't you mean a peeling?

This is how I was reading it!!!