The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP WITH Engine cleaning...internal.........please

DodgyRog

About to do an Oil change over the next month in preperation for the summer and have a couple of questions

Done a search and the general consensus seems to be a big no no to Engine flush

The reason I am asking about flushing and cleaning, is I have noticed while looking inside the oil cap hole that it seems quite black and I was thinking that the inside of the engine is proberbly much the same

So if you should not really use flush, is the best option to remove the Cam Covers and just clean the insides that way, obviously that only cleans them, but it's better than nothing

If this is the best option, is there something specific that is good for the job and safe if traces get into the engine system

While talking about oil changes, I used to use the Lexus Oil Filter on my N/A is it the same one on the TT block, :Dsorry for my Newbie question, but I am a Newbie to the TT:D

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

I heard the best option is just to Buy cheap oil and filter, drive it nicely for a 100 miles with the new cheap oil and filter then Change it for the New quality oil and filter.

Dunno if this helps or is any good but an option

Not sure that put a clean oil in for a short period is going to clean the sludge of much

Could you not try that engine decarbonise treatment that was on wheeler dealers it looked good

From doing a bit of searching it seems a lot of question come up about using decarboniser or flushes in Turbo engines, due to the fact that you make the deposits come loose and then they end up running through your engine components including the Turbo bearings

Being new to the TT I am just going by what I have found during a quick search, hence the post

The last thing I want, is to knacker something, as Jen will have a heart attack if I have to fix something already lol

I think Fosta has all the equipment for that full engine clean internal thingy

Any idea what

Best bet if using oil for a diesel engine for a few hundred miles. It has more detergent for removing deposits, as diesel engine create greater deposits. Do it at your own risk. I saw a Punto GT with 100K miles that had only been run on diesel oil and the engine was like brand new! It was so clean i asked if the head had been replaced but it was original!

that'll only clean the actual combustion spaces, valves and piston crowns etc, won't it?

Yup.

There is a Wynns oil flush product that I've used on two cars now and it cleared up tapping valves (to my surprise the first time, cynic that I am). You bung it in, run a fast idle for 10 minutes, then change the oil and filter. Can't remember the name of it :)

The question is though, why do you need to run the flush in the first place :eyebrows:

All the newbie mods showing up meant we lost sight of that. I'm interested in a proper sciencey investigation to the terraclean thing with controls and before/after stuff and everything, including real-world measurable results (not just flim flam like 'improved throttle response' :D ). If you can deliver that, I'm game :thumbs:

I sure do! :D

I'm just waiting on the mods getting back to me as I was wanting to start a thread. :)

Hey chap,

Like Rog I was interested in the engine clean but after chatting to a couple of friends here is my take on it (this may aid Rog too), please correct me if I am wrong.

The older engines like the Supra doesn't spray the oil in a fine mist like the newer cars. Pro's & Con's of this, it means generally less carbon build up but means more fuel & bore wash over a long time. The newer cars use less fuel but because of this they have a build up of carbon which I guess can be aided by the terraclean.

The other thing which Rog pointed out is that the carbon is fried to the block so it would take a long more than some type of flush to get it off & if it did then the stiffness of the foreign body could cause more damage, is that with the BMW swirl flaps too?

Please tell me if I am talking gibberish as I am shattered!! :D

All the newbie mods showing up meant we lost sight of that. I'm interested in a proper sciencey investigation to the terraclean thing with controls and before/after stuff and everything, including real-world measurable results (not just flim flam like 'improved throttle response' :D ). If you can deliver that, I'm game :thumbs:

Yep, if you see lbm he has the original pm from the 20th of this month.

We have a donor supra on stand by and what we want to do is emissions before and after, and Dyno run before and after to see the true results. It's cost me a fortune so I hope it works! :taped: :D

Hey chap,

Like Rog I was interested in the engine clean but after chatting to a couple of friends here is my take on it (this may aid Rog too), please correct me if I am wrong.

The older engines like the Supra doesn't spray the oil in a fine mist like the newer cars. Pro's & Con's of this, it means generally less carbon build up but means more fuel & bore wash over a long time. The newer cars use less fuel but because of this they have a build up of carbon which I guess can be aided by the terraclean.

The other thing which Rog pointed out is that the carbon is fried to the block so it would take a long more than some type of flush to get it off & if it did then the stiffness of the foreign body could cause more damage, is that with the BMW swirl flaps too?

Please tell me if I am talking gibberish as I am shattered!! :D

All I know at this point mate is that Toyota have Aproved it as working and safe for the supra engine.

In a nut shell terraclean has been out for some years now but its taken years for the manufactures to aprove of it. And say yes it works on there cars and is safe!

They have a list on there US website with the list of cars and how to connect this machine, the cars and manufacturs listed are the Aproved ones or so I lead to believe. But up to now vauxhalls/ Opel and Renault don't seem to be on there so I'm gussing its still in the middle of bring Aproved by them.

Terraclean is a modified fuel that Dose not produce carbon, the bio product of petrol is carbon so the supra engine will still have a fair bit. For example if you look on my build thread you will see my engine was thick of it when I took it apart.

The process takes about 1hr on the machine and it desolves the carbon and it leaves the engine through the exhaust valves and stright out of the exhaust cleaning the cat ( if you have one) and lambda sensors on its way.

But we will not know how good it works of if it dose untill we do tests :)

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

All I know at this point mate is that Toyota have Aproved it as working and safe for the supra engine.

In a nut shell terraclean has been out for some years now but its taken years for the manufactures to aprove of it. And say yes it works on there cars and is safe!

They have a list on there US website with the list of cars and how to connect this machine, the cars and manufacturs listed are the Aproved ones or so I lead to believe. But up to now vauxhalls/ Opel and Renault don't seem to be on there so I'm gussing its still in the middle of bring Aproved by them.

Terraclean is a modified fuel that Dose not produce carbon, the bio product of petrol is carbon so the supra engine will still have a fair bit. For example if you look on my build thread you will see my engine was thick of it when I took it apart.

The process takes about 1hr on the machine and it desolves the carbon and it leaves the engine through the exhaust valves and stright out of the exhaust cleaning the cat ( if you have one) and lambda sensors on its way.

But we will not know how good it works of if it dose untill we do tests :)

Thanks for replying back so quick, hopefully this helps Rog too. Looking forward to the test results.

:thumbs:

How much would it cost to get a supra terracleaned?

Does it help diesel engines too?

imi

The price varies sightly between dealers at the moment mate, around 90% of them charge 90+vat for 2.0ltr and under and £110+ vat for over 2.0ltr but some are now charging £80 and £100. But I think a meeting is being held in the next few months with terraclean and there dealers to see what they can do about it as I think terraclean want a fixed price with all dealers so they can advertize it better.

:)