The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need Help/Advice...

Guest cobra07

Guest cobra07

I have a 94 Supra 3 litre N/A and the last few days iv noticed when the car is running idle the revs are between 1 an 2000 :blink: Nothing sounds amiss or anything.

Is this something that happens or whats the story? All info welcome Cheers in advance :thumbs:

My N/a used to cold start about 1200rpm and drop to 600rpm (didn't sound/feel good at 600rpm). I changed my plugs to some NKG iradiums, changed my HT leads to Magnecor 8mm's and bought new distributor cap and rotor arm. Now cold starts about 1600rpm and warm idles about 700-750rpm. 300rpm must have been terrible.

@Cobra07 is the idle speeds you posted on a warm or cold engine? Do the revs rise and fall on there own? Is it a smooth idle or is it sounding a little lumpy (rev needle jumping up and down)

I've always wondered about my own idle speed. It always stays at around 1500-1600rpm, regardless of temperature. :shrug:

That's a bit high for a hot engine. Does the car not try to take off when it's put into gear? I would check for air leaks on intake manifold gaskets/surrounding pipe work. Could a stuck open ICV raise the revs on Idle? How's your oil levels? Could you be leaking oil/fuel in to the cylinders and its combusting raising the idle? (Would be noticeable smoke from exhaust I would have though) not sure if any of my suggestions are plausible but just a though

That's a bit high for a hot engine. Does the car not try to take off when it's put into gear? I would check for air leaks on intake manifold gaskets/surrounding pipe work. Could a stuck open ICV raise the revs on Idle? How's your oil levels? Could you be leaking oil/fuel in to the cylinders and its combusting raising the idle? (Would be noticeable smoke from exhaust I would have though) not sure if any of my suggestions are plausible but just a though

I don't have any issue with it trying to take off, no. The revs drop off to 'expected' levels when in gear. Oil levels are fine, the oil has also been changed numerous times but this rev value still exists. I've never been too phased by it as I figured it had something to do with being NA-TT but didn't really know or work out what could be causing it.

There isn't excess levels of smoke either. Strange!

I'll get it seen to in good time I suppose - it hasn't had any effect to the efficiency or performance of the car since I bought it in 2009 anyway. Hrmmm!

As you don't seem to be having any issues with it James and its been like that for so long it could just be one of them things where yours is working fine your just been different :D lol. On the other hand there might be something that is causing it. I only really have basic mechanical knowledge :(. Maybe some more experienced members can shed some light

The only things I can think are that it is either something to do with the ICV or the ECU. I don't know what though so haven't tried to 'fix' it. :)

If I get engine work done in the future or I'm in close proximity of Whifbitz/SRD/Jurgen then I'll maybe try to investigate. Otherwise I'm going to just carry on as I have done!

My NA-TT used to idle high too James. On the throttle body, there should be a small screw that can mechanically raise/lower the revs. I fiddled with mine, and got the revs down to around 800 when at warm idle. Could be as simple as that :)

Mine is a bit lumpy at idle at the moment, but I'm due to do a full service very soon, so hopefully a change of plugs will sort that out, as I sometimes have a "groggy" moment, when accelerating, which I think is due to it missing every now and again.

We shall see I guess. If new plugs dont work, it'll be off to a garage :(