The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need some help guys!

Guest ambitionz

Guest ambitionz

1994 TT supra 6speed about 89,000 miles

When i am reversing the car would move back

then i would hear a banging/knocking noise coming

from the rear of car then the car wouldn't move at all.

I'll prob jack up the car tomm since its my day off

and give it a look, any ideas what could cause this?

The subframe bolts, if they're not tight, can cause the car to make some unnerving clunks when manoeuvring slowly, especially reversing with the steering on full lock. However if your car won't move after you get a clunk, it's probably something else. I just pointed this out as it's something to eliminate from your search.

What do you have to do to get the car moving again? e.g. if you drive forwards for a bit, does reverse then start working again (until you get another clunk)?

The subframe bolts do indeed sound like the culprits as Stevie has mentioned above.

If it was diff related, you'd find the same sort of thing happening when going forwards and turning also. I had such an issue with my diff and it turned out to be broken teeth which required a replacement. Though I had tightened the subframe bolts about a fortnight earlier so was a lot more confident in pinpointing the issue.

In short - tighten up your subframe bolts as a first potential remedy :)

The subframe bolts do indeed sound like the culprits as Stevie has mentioned above.

If it was diff related, you'd find the same sort of thing happening when going forwards and turning also. I had such an issue with my diff and it turned out to be broken teeth which required a replacement. Though I had tightened the subframe bolts about a fortnight earlier so was a lot more confident in pinpointing the issue.

In short - tighten up your subframe bolts as a first potential remedy :)

Sub frames bolts wouldn't prevent the car from moving though.

Sub frames bolts wouldn't prevent the car from moving though.

I seemed to overlook that bit. :)

If it was the diff, the car would suffer the same sort of experience when moving forward also (especially when the wheels aren't straight).

Unless it is simply to do with the reverse gear in the box itself?

Guest ambitionz
The subframe bolts, if they're not tight, can cause the car to make some unnerving clunks when manoeuvring slowly, especially reversing with the steering on full lock. However if your car won't move after you get a clunk, it's probably something else. I just pointed this out as it's something to eliminate from your search.

What do you have to do to get the car moving again? e.g. if you drive forwards for a bit, does reverse then start working again (until you get another clunk)?

to get the car moving again i would have to wait for the knocking from the rear to go away

and then attempt to reverse the car again, the weather was bad today so i'll have

to wait until my next day off to give it a look i will keep you guys updated if its my rear end

i'll prob go with a kaaz rear end.

Too actually stop the car from moving sounds very very bad in my

opinion, i'd be getting it on a ramp and doing a serious inspection of

the drive shaft cv joints and the diff.

I'd be inclined to drain the diff oil into a clean container and see if its

got any parts of the diff in it.

Undo the filler plug before you drain it !

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)