The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mechanics near Manchester to sort my heater matrix out?

SupraLEDrears

Check the little rod that controls the heater flap in the passenger footwell, it may have come adrift. Turn your heather knob from cold to hot whilst looking up under the glovebox, the rod is on the gearbox side of the passenger footwell, it should move a flap as you turn the heater knob from cold to hot. might be something as simple as that.

What exactly was the issue and where?

I need to still sort mine out

The heater didn't blow hot air. It was just lukewarm. I tried the airlock threads on here, parked nose up on a steep hill, took the rad cap off and let it run with the heater on full whack. Then took it up to about 3000 revs for about a min or two when it got up to the right engine temp. It blowed a little bit hotter but went cold again so no air locks there. Then I checked the control arm that switches from hot to cold and that was still attached. If you do a search on here you'll find some good pics. My mechanic then drained everything out and realised that the previous owners mechanic put rad seal in it. It blew hot agin but only until you rev it up to about 5k then it stopped again. Had my hands in my hair cause I didn't want to take the whole dash out to get to the matrix. We then took the two pipes off connected to the heater matrix, filled it with water and gently blew it out with compressed air but at very low pressure not to do any damage. A hosepipe would do it to but didn't have one. Loads of crap came out as we had a bucket on the receiving end. Good as gold now thanks to all the lads on this forum that helped me.