The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling all Cars!! (Red Supras to be exact or anybody who knows anything about Paint)

Guest Lyall

I have red Supra and was recently ran into the back of :(!! It needs resprayed but the color code on the plate says 199 (which I know is silver). I've been on a couple of sites that says the 3L2 is the color for the model and year.

Guess what I want to ask is- has anybody got the same code on their plate and is 3L2 definitely the right red before I get this done??

Cheers

Lyall :)

PS - does anybody know where I could get a hold of a part of a after market catback system? The idiot has done that in as well!!

Edited by Lyall (see edit history)

If your car has been painted are you sure its the Toyota factory red ?

This.

If it says 199 on the vin plate, then the car has been resprayed. There are only really two options here. Either respray the whole car, or try and contact the previous owner, and see if they were the ones that had it resprayed, and ask if they know the paint code used.

Depending on how long ago the respray was done, it may be worth doing the whole car again anyway, as red is a nightmare for fading, which would mean some parts (especially the bonnet, roof, boot) may be a lighter shade than the resprayed panels would be, even when using the same paint.

too be honest I didnt think it had been painted cos even the engine compartment is red - I thought it was maybe something to do with it being an import?

Nope. As I said, if the vin says 199 and its red, it has had a FULL respray. Not uncommon when done properly, to have the engine removed and the bay done too.

If it was the original paint then yes but his car was silver and is now red

so it could be any red

That is true, looking at the pics of it, it looks like 3L2.

He can bring it over to my gaff and we could have a closer look at it. Could even grab the chips out of work.