The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT yearly running costs?

Getrag

Ok guys and gals, I’m writing up a budget for owning a Supra to see what it’s gonna cost me over a year. Please contribute anything you can to it and tell me if any of it is wrong or I’ve forgotten any obvious costs. This will be for a TT, probably manual. Doing about 10,000 miles a year. Before I start, if anyone has made up a similar plan or done any spreadsheets on cost, please please PM me so you can email me them. So, over one year:

Insurance: £1800

Petrol: @ £57 giving around 275miles, = £2073

Tires: £200 (average) or £300 (good) for 2 rear

Oil change: Every 3000miles at £50 = £167

Servicing: Anywhere from £150 to the 54k one at £370 (is this inclusive of labour?)

Possible cambelt = £150 ??

Road fund licence: £160

MOT: £40

Total so far without insurance: £2790 - £3260

Any other costs that I have missed? Other comments about running costs would be helpful, thanks.

i think 150miles on 30 quid may be a tad optimistic, dont think mines last anywhere near that long.

As a ref, had my TT for about 6 months now. Expenditure to date:

Insurance: £1800ish

Tax, MOT etc etc.

Service (inc cambelt): About £400, being done this weekend.

Mods:

Boost gauge: £50ish

Apexi induction: £50ish (second hand)

Dash: £100

Turbo Timer: £100

19" Rims and rubber arriving december.

Luckily the car came with a big exhaust and skirts etc else the list would prob go on.

I think running costs are one thing (quite reasonable considering the power of the car IMO), its the mods that will kill you.

I think everyone says they won't etc but when the bug bites, it bites hard!

:flame Dev

Originally posted by Supra_Nish

Damn really? I usually squeeze out 300kms if i'm lucky.

Is there something to look for regarding poor economy? (my foots not that heavy)

do you wear heavy shoes?

i usually manage about 300 miles from 3/4 of a tank:)

im not going to suggest anything about what could be affecting your fuel economy because there are people on here who know a hell of a lot more than me about it!

My fuel economy is gradually getting worse and I didn't notice for ages.

I'd suggest a search for O2 sensors, cos I think that's my problem so I'm going to change it. My recent searching has shown it could be a fairly common problem.

Just do the diagnostic port check on the O2 sensor to see how it's playing - maybe take it out and clean it.

Guest The Flash

I have just sold mine for the explicit reason of expense...... Here's how it worked out (roughly) over the 13 month ownership......(Figs averaged per month - including absolutely everything!!!!!)

Finance 200

Ins 65

Service / MOT (Inc 4 tyres / 2 pads) approx 65

Petrol 300

Depreciation (KILLER) 250

AVERAGE TOTAL FOR EVERY MONTH OWNED (or owning others!!!!!) £880

Total cost therefore of best motoring year of life so far..........

£10,560

Give or take a pound or 2 :eek:

Guest The Flash

Thank god for that - I was sure I couldn't have funded that much - but didn't see where the mistake was - Duhhh :stupid:

As the Depreciation worked out at £3k over the year - and my loan repayments only totalled £2.4k - the total cost to me was the £3k (Is that right?) PLEASE - SOMEONE TELL ME I AM BEING INCREDIBLY STUPID.......

If so - total cost of the year changed to just over £8k !

Flash :D

Guest The Flash

If I had of thought of that a year ago - then yes!!

Seems as I didn't have that kind of foresight - then I think the phrase.......

"...too good late idea..." in maybe a different order would apply !!

Am now safely back in the land of large debt looking for small car :cool:

Originally posted by attilauk

i usually manage about 300 miles from 3/4 of a tank:)

:eek: what sort of speeds do you drive at? ive got 160 miles out of just over 3/4 of a tank this fill up although i have been plantin it a bit this time. most ive got out of a tank is 300 miles i think.

you got a decat with the rsr or anythin mate?

Thanks guys, thats all great info, keep it coming.

I agree, I think its a good idea to buy a good car to start with. If its a garage, try and get them to give you some new tires, or extra mot/tax or a good service/oil change as part of the deal.

Has anyone found common mechanical parts that need to be replaced shortly after buying? Clutches/pad/suspension....and their costs?

Originally posted by RICHARDA

Have you thought of running a daily shitter?.......

HTH

Rich

My Supe was supposed to be a cheap daily car for my Lancia Integrale!!!

So far cost approx (since end March):

insurance £700 for year

Interest on Finance: £300

petrol: £35/week = £1000

wheels: £200 (Volk Racing off Ebay - not bad...)

tyres: £200

alignments: £150

lowered suspension: £600

small mods/bits: £400 approx (apexi etc)

service/MOT: £350

& soon getting full decat/RSR exhaust/gauges etc (and I said I wasn't interested in Modding...) probably a good £1500-£2000

without depreciation, I'll have spent about £5500 in 7 months.. Hey Ho etc well worth it!!!

J

:eek:

I run a shitter for work as im a joiner and the supras not that practical. It lives in the garage keeping it in tip top nick. Ive put it away now for the winter so i can fund plenty of bits for next summer. For the amount i would use it through the winter it is not worth my £2500 a year insurance, it would only get used a couple of hours a week and that means major running costs. :(