The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone Dynamat-ed their supra?

listy

Looking to Dynamat the whole floor of the supra, including under rear seats, boot, up the rear quarters, and do the doors,(pretty much everything up to window height really) to try and make it a bit quieter on the inside.

Has anyone done this and know how much I will need?

It's not overly cheap stuff, so don't want to buy too much more than I really need.

I'm sure there was a thread on this a year or so ago, but I can't find it :rolleyes:

Either the above, or has anyone soundproofed the supra with anything else?

I need to do this as well, the less "road noise" the better for me when I am doing long trips. I'd like to sit at 60mph & for it to be a bit less noisy though it could be the Falkens causing some of that!

Listy check out some YouTube video's if you are planning on doing it yourself.

Also JamieP mentioned to me something about a foam thing in the arches area. For the life of me can't remember what he told me but apparently reduces road noise by quite a bit!

It can work but not as good. You need to use alot more of it so the saving isn't worth it.

The stuff I use is cheaper than the branded Dynomat and is very good.

Any chance of a link/name of what you use Lee? Feel free to PM if you would like.

Understand if not, if it would affect business.

It can work but not as good. You need to use alot more of it so the saving isn't worth it.

The stuff I use is cheaper than the branded Dynomat and is very good.

been driving the wife's BMW for the past few months, now the supra is a bit too noisy for my liking :(

If you want it quiet, you need to approach it from a 2 layer solution - 1st layer down needs to be a sound 'dampener' then that is followed up by a sound 'barrier'.

The dampener has weight to it (such as dynamat) and reduces sound resonation by deadening the vibrations. Using this on a metal panel will help stop noises being amplified through the panel. Very good results can be achieved by covering only 25-30% of a panel without going hell for leather and covering the whole thing! This is cost effective and avoids adding unneccesary weight.

The noise barrier goes straight over the top of the deadening material and is usually made from a closed cell foam structure (in varying degrees of thickness) which absorbs airborne noises and also acts as a thermal insulator. The barrier ought to be laid without any gaps and using acoustic edging tape where sheets meet each other. They are typically cheaper to buy than the deadener mats.

I've done my doors, rear seats and floor so far and its made a big difference to my NA running a HKS Hi-Power. Especially low-end sounds when on the motorway.

If you want it quiet, you need to approach it from a 2 layer solution - 1st layer down needs to be a sound 'dampener' then that is followed up by a sound 'barrier'.

The dampener has weight to it (such as dynamat) and reduces sound resonation by deadening the vibrations. Using this on a metal panel will help stop noises being amplified through the panel. Very good results can be achieved by covering only 25-30% of a panel without going hell for leather and covering the whole thing! This is cost effective and avoids adding unneccesary weight.

The noise barrier goes straight over the top of the deadening material and is usually made from a closed cell foam structure (in varying degrees of thickness) which absorbs airborne noises and also acts as a thermal insulator. The barrier ought to be laid without any gaps and using acoustic edging tape where sheets meet each other. They are typically cheaper to buy than the deadener mats.

I've done my doors, rear seats and floor so far and its made a big difference to my NA running a HKS Hi-Power. Especially low-end sounds when on the motorway.

Stevo that is fantastic information, thank you!! I wasn't that fussed at first but now with the little one I want to make the cabin as quiet as possible when we do the long trips.

Do you have any pictures or recommend any products? From what you have done?

You nutter!! :D

An also sorry for the thread hi-jack :)

Lol I figure the more I do, the quieter it'll be. Lets face it, my car is 20 this year, and it isn't exactly quiet in there. And, like you, have a little one, so the quieter the better. I won't do it all at once. Start with the back seats and floor first, then boot, then doors. Spread the cost ;)