The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5 Speed TT's

charlton

How many people are running 5 speed boxes on BPU TT's?

Not sure I can get on with an auto box in the long run and I have a 5 speed NA sitting on my drive doing nothing now so I'm thinking of a swap

Have you had any/many issues and is it as 'simple' as it sounds to upgrade to 6 speed at a later date?

It would be from a 95 SZ-R, that would make it the W158? There are parts I like about the auto box but I'm not really a fan of auto's in general

Another thing I thought of, would the ECU need to be changed or reprogrammed, would this have a negative affect on upgrading to a 6 speed later?

I run a W58 at BPU. as long as you don't rag the granny out of it, no harsh down shifts, it should be fine, so long as its a reasonable condition box.

I thought, however, the SZ-R's had a getrag box, or is that just facelift SZ-R's?

Facelift SZ-R's came with the same Getrag 6speed (V-161) as the facelift VVTi TT's.

As for the ECU, the Auto TT will work on a W58, a 6-speed manual and a Auto TT box. It's the manual ECU's which can't control the Auto box.

It would be from a 95 SZ-R, that would make it the W158? There are parts I like about the auto box but I'm not really a fan of auto's in general

Another thing I thought of, would the ECU need to be changed or reprogrammed, would this have a negative affect on upgrading to a 6 speed later?

If you are planning on upgrading to the 6 speed at a later date then don't bother with swapping with the 5 for the mean time. Enjoy the auto box for now & then do the 6 speed swap in one go. I think the VIN plate should be able to tell you which transmission you have on the car.

Lol.

Here's a question then. I am thinking about putting together a 5 speed (don't want a 6 speed) Supe and either going TT or small single. What would be the max HP I would be allowed to get to before it all starts going Pete Tong. I am thinking 380 - 400?

I really want the best of both worlds here. I am thinking of a TRD kitted, 5 speed car that will be really quick 0 - 100. I am not really bothered about cost of later sales value as it would be just to suit my needs as a driver. It will be driven nicely most of the time but i do like to thrash them at least once per drive.

It's either that of I am just going to get Vicki an RS4 for work and I can use it at weekends.

H.

An auto is much more suited to a man of your age too mate :p

Perfectly true lol

Lol.

Here's a question then. I am thinking about putting together a 5 speed (don't want a 6 speed) Supe and either going TT or small single. What would be the max HP I would be allowed to get to before it all starts going Pete Tong. I am thinking 380 - 400?

I really want the best of both worlds here. I am thinking of a TRD kitted, 5 speed car that will be really quick 0 - 100. I am not really bothered about cost of later sales value as it would be just to suit my needs as a driver. It will be driven nicely most of the time but i do like to thrash them at least once per drive.

It's either that of I am just going to get Vicki an RS4 for work and I can use it at weekends.

H.

400bhp seems to be the general thoughts, but that depends on driving style (obviously it is torque that is the real issue)

There are a fair few that have got away with running much more, Craig being the one that springs to mind, 500bhp (Na-T) and as you will remember from the Dragonball, he is not shy on the throttle

From what I have been told and read, flat changing and hard downshifts really are a no no and you need to start with a good condition box

Thay are certainly rapid to 100 mark, the lower ratio set up should make them nipper than a 6-speed

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Lol.

H.

Get an R154. Good for around 500-550 ftlb. As we know, torque kills boxes.

My plan when I go single is 500-600hp and 500-550ftlb on an R154 box ;)

Thay are certainly rapid to 100 mark, the lower ratio set up should make them nipper than a 6-speed

I had heard this before and it sounded appealing, I like to think I'm not a gearbox abuser but I'm not keen on the idea that a dodgy/wrong downshift will ruin things.

The v160 is out of reach at the moment as I have just bought the Supra, guess I should start saving some more! How much are R154 boxes/conversions going for?

I had heard this before and it sounded appealing, I like to think I'm not a gearbox abuser but I'm not keen on the idea that a dodgy/wrong downshift will ruin things.

The v160 is out of reach at the moment as I have just bought the Supra, guess I should start saving some more! How much are R154 boxes/conversions going for?

PM club member Viper.

He has a full R154 conversion for sale, nothing to do but drop your auto out and bolt this one in.

It is the Torque more than the power that Kill's the 5 speed boxes, means you just have to not bang the clutch in every time you change gear and as someone else said no hard down changes otherwise it'll just blow it's guts everywhere.

I can't see the point of R154 boxes myself as they seem to be incredibly close price wise to a 6 speed box.

It is the Torque more than the power that Kill's the 5 speed boxes, means you just have to not bang the clutch in every time you change gear and as someone else said no hard down changes otherwise it'll just blow it's guts everywhere.

I can't see the point of R154 boxes myself as they seem to be incredibly close price wise to a 6 speed box.

They ain't within an ass's roar of the price of a 6 speed.

Trust me, I just bought one!

And personally I don't need or want a 6 speed for what I use the car for, sixth would be unused for starters, unless I DIDN'T convert my final gear ratio, in which case the clutch pedal would be depressed for half of every lap and there is a considerable weight difference between an R154 and the getrag box.

R154 makes a great deal of sense if converting either a manual or auto NA-T/NA-TT, the box matches the diff ratio better which keeps the cost of the conversion lower still.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

A full 'from auto' R154 conversion generally goes from between £2-£3k. The 6 speed getrag box on its own is that price ;)

Plus, the R154 being a 5 speed, means lower gear ratios, faster acceleration? Depends what you want from the car I guess.

A full 'from auto' R154 conversion generally goes from between £2-£3k. The 6 speed getrag box on its own is that price ;)

Plus, the R154 being a 5 speed, means lower gear ratios, faster acceleration? Depends what you want from the car I guess.

The 6 speed is actually the closer ratio'd box, its the 6 speed diff that actually gives a TT6 its phenomenal top end.

Both 5 speed boxes have a 1:1 ratio in fourth with fifth as the over drive.

The 6 speed has a 1:1 ratio in fifth with sixth as the overdrive.

That means you've to change gear on a 6 speed one extra time in order to get the same output shaft speed as you would on a 5 speed.

To be honest you are better off either staying auto or putting up the extra money going for the 6 speed... As if you want any more power in the future getting the r154 box is utterly pointless, the money it costs you may as well just save a little more (and it really is a little) and get the 6 speed...

if you want any more power in the future getting the r154 box is utterly pointless

Not everyone is aiming for eleventy million horsepower.

Some people might actually be satisfied with 500-600 horses.

The R154 has that covered easily.

My R154 conversion will cost me somewhere in the region of £1200.

Thats the proper box with an uprated thrust washer on first gear, shifter, bellhousing, new clutch, new lightweight flywheel, new slave cylinder, prop.

All fitted.

How is that not a considerable saving over a Getrag?

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Not everyone is aiming for eleventy million horsepower.

Some people might actually be satisfied with 500-600 horses.

The R154 has that covered easily.

My R154 conversion will cost me somewhere in the region of £1200.

How is that not a considerable saving over a Getrag?

Exactly this.

When I go single, all I want is 500-600hp and 500-550ftlb torque.

Why do I need a getrag for that? With the R154 it will make it a nice street weapon :eyebrows:

I know the getrag is an awesome box, one of the best manual boxes out there, but if not going for stupid high power, the R154 is a perfect alternative, at a fraction of the cost.