The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Jspec Rear Disc Brake HELP!

Jamesc183

Hi guys, im having trouble adjusting the drum that loosens the rear driverside disc! :mad:

Im trying to move it with a flat headed screw driver but it just wont budge at all!

I understand theres another way by fastening in two screws to push the disc off? Does anyone by any chance know the exact size of the screw so i can buy them! :innocent:

Thanks JC

If it won't move either way then it's probably seized. I can't remember the set-up in the Supra to be honest as I've only had the rear disks off once but going on the usual arrangement of a shoe type brake the adjuster will only turn in one direction, if working properly, unless the racheting arm is held away from the toothed wheel on the adjuster. The arm keeps the adjuster at the correct tension to ensure the brake is effective.

I think they're M8 or M10 x 1.25.

You should be able to turn the adjuster to slacken them off. If you can't, I'd order an entire brake shoe kit, springs, adjusters the lot.

Yeaaa no i cant seem to move it! I replaced the other disc yesterday and that moved fine but this one wont budge at all!!

Thanks for the sizes dude! Ill get the handbrake kit ordered, anyone know were to get it from?

Page BR-60 has a good diagram of the handbrake

You really shouldn't have to smash the disc off though, i'd try

spraying some penetrating fluid through the hole onto the adjuster

You can also tap round the outside of the drum with a copper hammer

which can help to free off the shoes.

Last resort is to bash them off and as said if you have to do this

get a new fitting kit (Toyota)

BR.pdf

Page BR-60 has a good diagram of the handbrake

You really shouldn't have to smash the disc off though, i'd try

spraying some penetrating fluid through the hole onto the adjuster

You can also tap round the outside of the drum with a copper hammer

which can help to free off the shoes.

Last resort is to bash them off and as said if you have to do this

get a new fitting kit (Toyota)

I see from that diagram now that the brake shoe adjuster doesn't have that one-way rachet arm I mentioned earlier so in theory the adjuster should turn either way when levered with a screwdriver.

The jacking screws are probably 8 x 1.25 mm but be careful not to apply too much pressure as you can burst the disk.

Be sure that the bit of the hub that protrudes throught the centre of the disk is rust free and spray some penetrating fluid between them before attempting to jack off.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.:D

Guys i just realised that the hub was actually spinning with the hand brake off but the adjuster just wouldnt move!

Does this still mean that the handbrake shoes have seized? Because I would of thought the whole thing would be stuck (as if the handbrake was on) if it was seized?

I did mine at the weekend and the disks were stuck firmly on the hubs and I had no threaded holes. So I sprayed penetrating fluid in any hole I could find on the disk face and I tapped firmly the disk from behind ie hammer in the wheel arch, where there is no dust shield, rotated it a bit a tapped again etc etc until it popped off.