The mkiv Supra Owners Club

removed wheels for painting and no spogot rings!!

skyline1

Hey all

I removed one of my wheels the other day for painting , come to fit the wheel back on the car and noticed there is no spigot ring .... kinda thought my paint shop guy may of taken it out but he said he didnt have it. so removed th4e front wheel which is getting painted next and guess what..... no spigot ring there either!

So im asuming there aint any on the other two wheels either..... makes me think im a lucky guy! i have alloy wheel nuts too so not massivly tight!

think its pure stupidity not having them!

Anyone know what size ill need? what size is the hub and does anyone know where id find the info for what size ill need to fit in the wheel?

Regards Andre

The alloy nuts ive got have been tightened up to 115 lbs which in my opinion aint alot but with no spigot rings its literally nothing if the wheel moves slightly.

The friction force between the hub and the wheel is what stops the wheel from moving (up and down) a piddly little bit of platstic would turn into dust with the weight of a car hammering on it over speedbumps, potholes etc.

The spigot is for centering the wheel accurately while you attach it to the car, as Dunk says you need to make sure the nuts are torqued correctly as having them too tight makes the studs stretch and they become much more likely to fail (and thus for your wheel to fly off and you to immediately point to the lack of spigot rings for the failure).

The fact that you didn't notice any wheel wobble means the wheels have been put on fairly well (even without the spigot rings). The very first set of wheels I got I fitted without the spigot rings (had no idea what they were) and went out for a drive to notice the balance being all over the place. A quick call to the wheel company saw me enlightened :D

I need some for my wheels too as I noticed I don't have any either.None of my cars in the past have ever had any :taped:

Wheels sized for the car won't need any at all, have all your wheels been improperly sized? You have never felt anything through the steering wheel? My vectra wobbled like a biatch without the spigot rings in.

yes i can recall having a issue with mine and the only way i found out was on the motorway when it felt like the wheel was half hanging off but it wasn't just because i didn't have the spigot rings in, o and i also broke 2 studs, but thanks to a couple of people i got that sorted out and found out about spigot rings.

I quite like the standard look so usually stick to stock alloy's but with a slammed stance and upped power ;) So a UK Spec with UK Spec 17" stock alloys will be fine then? :)

Yup, any MKIV supra with MKIV supra wheels will be fine, regardless of being Jspec/UKspec/Euro spec etc etc.

I quite like the standard look so usually stick to stock alloy's but with a slammed stance and upped power ;) So a UK Spec with UK Spec 17" stock alloys will be fine then? :)

Stock alloys will be perfect as they will have the correct spigot bore in them whether

they are 16" or 17"

wheel nuts hold the wheel to the car and in the correct place but as people say there is a tiny bit of play on the studs so the spigot rings are just to hold the wheel central and keep it central until the nuts are tightened to hold it in place.

over it sitting down very slightly on the studs and when nuts are tightened there holding the wheel is a very slight off position

Tim

My LMs didn't come with any, and after a PM to Ibrar, they don't need any. When I first put them on, as they'd be painted on the inside, they wouldn't go on all the way, and only mated with the hub when the nuts were tight. Now they're quite tight to get on, but still need to nuts tightened to get them flush.

My LMs didn't come with any, and after a PM to Ibrar, they don't need any. When I first put them on, as they'd be painted on the inside, they wouldn't go on all the way, and only mated with the hub when the nuts were tight. Now they're quite tight to get on, but still need to nuts tightened to get them flush.

That'll be down to the thickness of the powder coat in the spigot bore