The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi!

Tsia

Hi guys,

Not actually the owner of a Supra yet, but I am (very) seriously considering a naturally aspirated Supra at the minute. If I can justify it later on down the line, is it horribly expensive to give it a 1JZ/2JZ conversion, or is it just better to sell up at that point? I get attached to cars ;)

Hopefully I'll be on here a bit from now on, assuming I make the leap! :D

After browsing the forum, either I haven't slept enough, or I'm seeing people whopping turbos straight onto their nasp engines? Coming from MR2 ownership, where this is a big no-no, this actually happens? :o

It's not just putting a turbo on, there's other things to consider too.

Welcome to the club by the way :)

Thanks. I got that there was more to it, but the simple fact of having a turbo on a previously naturally aspirated engine is something quite alien to me :)

Definitely interesting to see! I'm actually hoping to get a test drive in one that's near me tomorrow (They're open Sundays, hurrah!) - anything I should be looking out for?

The NA-T route which you are referring to is more common place now, the GE block is still very strong & plenty of members have been running 500+ reliably from this, an can be achieved if done properly. The hassle free (to a certain extend) is putting the GTE engine in, though personally if your end route is to have a turbo supra I'd save up for a bit longer & buy one rather than convert one as it can be quite costly.

With regards to what to look out for, check the buyers guide on the newbie section.

Welcome to the club :)

There should be a thread on the home page about what to look for when buying a supra :)

Also welcome to the forum :)

I am doing a na-turbo at the moment if that's what you want to do look into it a great deal as it's not something to be taken lightly but is good if you want to learn alot and do it yourself

Also if you haven't bought one yet might be worth going tt from the off

Just a thought...?

Good luck what ever route you take bud :)

I'm quite happy to convert if it's not going to be too costly - part of the reason of not wanting a turbo straight away is I sort-of want to see if I can deal without the power for a while. I'm not running crazy power at the minute on my MR2, but it's certainly enough to give that feeling ;)

I've performed an engine swap with a friend before for the MR2, which has run happily since, although I wouldn't want to take an engine out again if I can avoid it, hence enquiring about the NA-T route. Presumably this'd be manifold, turbo, ECU &....?

Taking a read of the 'what to look for' PDF now :)

5SGTE? Now we're talking names I know ;)

Does anybody have a quick list/link to a thread with an explanation of this NA-T conversion? I'm dead interested in it now! (Love me some tinkering.)

Here is just one example I was reading earlier:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?282725-NA-T-driveway-special

The search box will bring up more. ;)

I did have a read of that and upon searching, I found a lot of threads that already assume prior knowledge - I'm clueless on it! I was trying to find something that shows it done step by step, sans fancy modifications ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and this is the Supra that I've got my eye on for trying out:

http://www.sh-car-sales.co.uk/used-cars/toyota-supra-3-0-3dr-bedford-201307502141722

And yes I'd be asking for a fresh MOT. (And tearing off the TRD sticker.)

Edited by Tsia (see edit history)

I did have a read of that and upon searching, I found a lot of threads that already assume prior knowledge - I'm clueless on it! I was trying to find something that shows it done step by step, sans fancy modifications ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and this is the Supra that I've got my eye on for trying out:

http://www.sh-car-sales.co.uk/used-cars/toyota-supra-3-0-3dr-bedford-201307502141722

And yes I'd be asking for a fresh MOT. (And tearing off the TRD sticker.)

Not a bad price for a manual NA.

Though looks like front bumper lip is missing, the passenger side is a facelift seat, the driver a bucket seat, god knows what the hell has happened with the rear seat bubbling like that! Going by the seat belts I got my money on the window been broken\left opening & rain getting into the cabin. The dash looks like it has been taken apart before, the brakes a little rusty from no use but over all reasons to be fine.

Remember the buyers guide & good luck.

Christ I hadn't even noticed the front seats. The dash I'm alright with, if it's anything as simple as the MR2s, it's a doddle to put right. I'll print out a copy and take it with me to be honest. I'm ok with minor niggles, but anything that really jumps out at me as being bad will probably send me in another direction. If it's not successful, I'll just have to keep an eye on the for sale forum here, won't I? ;)

Christ I hadn't even noticed the front seats. The dash I'm alright with, if it's anything as simple as the MR2s, it's a doddle to put right. I'll print out a copy and take it with me to be honest. I'm ok with minor niggles, but anything that really jumps out at me as being bad will probably send me in another direction. If it's not successful, I'll just have to keep an eye on the for sale forum here, won't I? ;)

I'd recommend you keep an eye out here too, some great cars come up for sale.

Make sure you take a mate so then you aren't blindly buying it because your heart wins over your head. I have helped tonnes of family & friends buy cars but when it came to my own, each time my heart was always beating my head!! :D

That's exactly what happened with my MR2. I was just diving in, then found out it couldn't have been more of a shed if it tried. Poor thing, love it to bits, but it's going to cost so much to put right, that I was considering a new one... then I saw this. Of all people, I'm actually taking my Mum, who is a MK3 enthusiast, although no longer owns one ;)

...if your end route is to have a turbo supra I'd save up for a bit longer & buy one rather than convert one as it can be quite costly.

:yeahthat:

I'd be very careful about the car in the link you gave due to the aforementioned seat / front bumper lip issues. Also the truly horrendous lime green speakers in the front door cards!

Good luck with the search, anyway.

Oh and also, :hello: and :welcome: :D

I'd be more wary about all the stuff you can't see from just walking

around it.

Ask if its had any new parts fitted to replace old worn out ones.

Calipers will need looking at as they will be on the verge of needing

a refurb unless they have been done along with suspension arms seizing

on the eccentric adjusters,

front cross members rot, radiators tend to suffer with age along with the

heater matrix, a/c rad, crank pulley, brake & fuel lines over the rear axle

need a thorough inspection

I personally wouldn't buy an old mkiv unless i could have it up

on a ramp and do a thorough inspection.

£1900 is pretty cheap but not if it you then have to spend £1k +

on it fixing the above items i mentioned and if you bought new

Toyota parts £1k wont be enough by a long way

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Just got back. Took it for a test drive and I have to say I was truly shocked at how powerful it was - coming from the MR2 turbo, I expected it to be a bit... slower? It is a BIT, but not by much. I sort of fell in love with it. I was on the ground, looking underneath the car and yes, it's missing the slight lip from the front but it's otherwise in fantastic condition. Drove it, no knocks, bumps or anything and this was through horrible country lanes, pulls well, no smoke.

So... I collect it this week! :D

I'm always wary when things don't match. Even if its just a seat. Begs the question why, and then what else isn't how it should be?

Besides the fact that its an NA :p, I wouldn't go for it either. You can pich up a newer better condition NA for the same rough price these days.

Don't just jump in on the first one you test drive. Go out in a few. How can you tell what's right, when its the first one you've driven?

Better still, see if a forum member local to you can have a look with you.

I've kinda purchased it already. The seats look to be purely cosmetic as the previous owner was obviously trying to 'TRD' it up (There are stickers everywhere) - it just runs smoothly, drives nicely, although there are a few tiny bits i'll be sorting out to make it *perfect*, it's much better than I've come to expect of this age of car. Driven it about 40 or so miles so far without any hiccups. :taped: