The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alternator trouble??!!!

Guest Shezz

Hi lads, basically started the beast up, seemed a little lazy, drove to the gym and half way there a red triangle with ! In the middle pops up heaters n light dim down (and its dark) power steering disappears just managed to turn around and get home!! Its fitted with a clifford alarm (which flashes when locked) and has just had a new battery! So im guessing alternator?

This is my daily runner n need it fixed asap!!

Any help with where to buy and how much im looking at paying would be much appreciated!

N/A auto 2jz

image.jpg

You checked the crank pulley?! Are you able to start her up again and see if it does the same? The fact the power steering went would point it towards a pulley.

If it is a pulley then Paul (posted above) can get you a replacement.

Keron on this forum can also provide you with replacement S\H parts.

Nope no screechy sound and no she wont fire up again....when u turn ignition on u get the repeating ticking trying to turn it over. Its got all the signs of dead battery so wont start!! How do i determine wether its the altenator or crank pulley??

So my plan is going to go work and get the appropriate tools to do this crank pulley job....lets say u lads are correct and the belt is slipping and the tippix test does the trick...how do i go about tightening the bolt up? Been reasearching all last night and today and no one has said a tourque setting but they mention locking gears with the cam cover off and do it as tight as poss?!???

In the next breathe there saying buy the crank pulley locking kit.....

What should i do lads?

Cheers

If the tippex test reveals a knackered crank pulley, you need a new pulley mate. And I wouldn't recommend driving it, as if the pulley separates fully at speed, then that's your rad gone, plus god knows what else too.

I'll try find my thread from when I did mine and get the torque setting for you.

Nice 1 mate recently had my cam belt done im hoping he hasnt tightened the crack pulley nut to the correct torque and has come loose!! How did u tighten up urs mate? Proper locking kit?

Nice 1 mate recently had my cam belt done im hoping he hasnt tightened the crack pulley nut to the correct torque and has come loose!! How did u tighten up urs mate? Proper locking kit?

I had to do mine in a car park while I was on physical rehab for my knee. I did it up tight as I could by hand, then nursed it to a garage 5 minutes down the road, and they did the rest.