The mkiv Supra Owners Club

custom dash modifications

TBDevelopments

Hey guys,

Been doing custom dash panels for many years now but all the previous cars have ABS plastic dash panels so when doing something custom i would use ABS plastic sheet and plastic-weld them in place and always stood up well with no cracking or sinking in years to come.

Now the supra has a PPE + PS plastic configuration and i can't seem to find alot of information on this, how to bond it, if its available in sheet form etc.

Anyone have advice on working with this plastic material?

My goal is i want to keep the dash of my supra fairly standard apart from the avcr boost controller which i was going to mount in the centre panel by removing the airvent and clock. But obviously need to block up those holes, before i can cut the shape in for the avcr.

Also finishing i wanted to get away from the plain painted facelift dash (as mines starting to wear in places) but keep it very subtle and almost factor option.

I had thought about either a carbon wrap (matt finish) or flocking it black. (i'm only talking about the dash plastics not the entire dash)

Any information on working with this plastic would be great as want to get it right first time, don't want it sinking after a few months and looking cheap.

many thanks

Tim

I think your making the job too technical. I've modified different dash panels and re-painted a few. Save yourself the hassle and don't use plastic at all.

The easiest thing to do, is just use fibreglass for whatever changes you want to make. And prep the surface like you would any other body work.

Halfords sell a Matt Black 400ml can which is the nearest finish to the stock dash I've ever seen (dont get the Satin Black).

Trying to use the same sort of plastic to modify the dash sounds like too much hard work. Use a different material, and give the dash the same panel. End of the day whatever material you use, your have to match the dash as best as you can. Matt flock would definitely not look stock.

I've some panels painted, and some not. And it's difficult to tell which ones are different. The pillar pods I do match the dash and look like a stock item due to the colour match.

Ripped fear done his whole dash in the Matt Black I suggested and was surprised how well it copies the stock dash finish.

well mines that silver/grey out the factory, its ok but fancy something a little different. when i said look like stock i ment stock feel, and flocking isn't that bad, i meant lairy colours etc.

I used to do custom dashboards for years with abs plastic but i always found fibreglass will eventually sink when used on plastics and look terrible after a few years. The only way i found to keep it perfect is to plastic weld any extra material onto the panel.

Only time fibreglass works is if everything is firbreglass, like a complete fibreglass apillar etc for example, not fibreglass stuck onto the plastic

Just going from my experience with this.

But been speaking to someone who does alot of custom dash boards for the supras stateside and he said its fine to plastic weld abs plastic to ppe+ps plastic So gives me something to go on

Thanks

Tim

did you do the entire dash or just the plastic panels?

I've used flocking before on rally and drag cars i've built and always liked its finish. But for the soup i was just going to do the plastic dash panels over everything as want to keep it "stockish" looking

Tim

Whole dash flocked and my panels I had covered in grey alcantera. I offer flocking as a service

looks good, wander if we could do the centre dash a very dark grey to almost match the facelift color. I doubt you could wrap the facelift dash in alcantra very well because of all the raised bits and bobs.

Tim

I can get flocked sprayed in any colour, even army camo lol. My man does all the drift cars and race cars

Sorry for interupting your thread but I saw a Supra on Ebay a little while ago with the whole of the dash covered in the "Bombing" Jap art/sticker/vinyl .......does anybody know what I mean and where I can get mine done ....I thought it looked great ......Its usually just petrol flaps that are done this way ........am I making sense ????

Sorry for interupting your thread but I saw a Supra on Ebay a little while ago with the whole of the dash covered in the "Bombing" Jap art/sticker/vinyl .......does anybody know what I mean and where I can get mine done ....I thought it looked great ......Its usually just petrol flaps that are done this way ........am I making sense ????

NOT TO A SUPRA!!!!!!!!!!! Have some class man :rolleyes:

However, you buy silly stickers, and go nuts. Job done.

(Please don't though :cry:)