The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tell me about your nuts...

Pete

...your wheel nuts that is. I'm not the slightest but interested in your gonads. (If indeed you have them!)

I need to purchase a set of wheel nuts which have a tapered end as opposed to the flat washer types on the standard wheels.

Like most car bits there seems to be lots of nonsense about "reduce unsprung weight" but using alloy bolts etc. Then there are the "D1 drift approved" ones...etc.

Is it all utter nonsense like I assume?

I just want some decent nuts with a high strength that aren't going to break and don't need to be shiny.

Any pointers on what type/spec/size to buy? Shall I just grab some from the local motor factors?

... Shall I just grab some from the local motor factors?

Thats exactly what I did.

Steel nuts (material required for legit motorsport participation), 60 degree taper and whatever the Supra tread and pitch size is (escapes me at the moment).

The nuts I got were the closed end type which didn't actually suit some of the wheel & spacer combos I use so I drilled the ends out and tapped (treaded) the nuts all the way through so the ends of my extended rear wheel studs can poke through.

Nuts cost me €20, I had all the equipment needed to modify them so still a good saving over some of the offerings out there.

just buy some propper steel nuts ,all this alloy nut nonsence. garenteed oneday someone will hit the alloy nuts with and impact gun and shaft them, and will you ever really notice a few grams diffference , anybody that says "I really felt the difference after fitting lighter wheel nuts" on a car as big and heavy as a supra is just lieing or deluded

just buy some propper steel nuts ,all this alloy nut nonsence. garenteed oneday someone will hit the alloy nuts with and impact gun and shaft them, and will you ever really notice a few grams diffference , anybody that says "I really felt the difference after fitting lighter wheel nuts" on a car as big and heavy as a supra is just lieing or deluded

agreed

As above, heard some stories about alloy wheel nuts so I opted for steel items. I went for these as they're tried and tested, albeit a fair amount of money for wheel nuts.

http://www.driftworks.com/high-strength-black-internal-drive-slimline-wheel-nut-packages.html

The ones I got look the same and are a lot cheaper on eBay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-RED-Alloy-Wheel-Tuner-Nut-Bolt-Key-Lock-Locking-UK-/160605640965?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item2564d79905