The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric fans on stock ecu

listy

Is this a viable option? The viscous fan really dates the engine bay IMO and would love to ditch it.

I also want to keep the stock rad, so would make brackets for the fans.

Afaik, the stock ecu can't run the fans, so is there any way of doing it without the being on all the time? Or is that the only option without getting an aftermarket ecu?

A viscous fan doesn't have a sensor that switches it on

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=930740

So its not possible to take anything reading wise from when the clutch engages? Never had a Viscous fan before.

In my mr2 i simply unplugged the engine temp sensor and wired a switch in so that i could turn it on and off as i pleased. I would imagine you could do the same and just have them on a switch although thats not the best option.

I used one of these on mine, worked but was never happy with the seal it provided in the top hose

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-Thermostat-Tempature-Control-Kit-Radiator-Cooling-Fans-/390539066336?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5aedf13be0

So I then used one of these in conjuction with a fan sensor switch from something else, MX5 I think, with something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Water-Temp-Gauge-Radiator-Hose-Sensor-Adaptor-Temperature-Select-Size-/290674684498?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item43ad8fb252

The sensor controls a relay that in turn controls the fans. I am going to make a variation on this when I get time that will switch in the fans and control their speeds according to the need.

This is the weak link on this type, same as the Kenlowe and much better to have a

properly plumbed in sensor

Thanks for the input guys.

So, if I got electric fans, I'd just need a temp sensor plumbed into the (top) rad pipe? and a relay, and this will tell the fans when to come on. Would it be best to power it through the ignition?

Its up to you, some cars that have electric fans are hard wired and continue to run even when the ignition is off, for me though I prefer not to hear them whirring away as I walk away from the car.