The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra repaint question

Guest couper

Hi guys.. i own a gloss black 1995 tt6 which i intend to get repainted, paintwork is getting tired looking.. its a good straight standard car with low mileage.. im toying with the idea of painting it 1a1, my question is if i change the colour will it take from the resale value, will a prospective buyer turn his nose at it because its not its factory colour or should i leave it as is... thanks in advance for your advice..

Shouldn't change the value mate. If anything, may increase it slightly:1. Because it will be mint paint 2. Because 1A1 is a rare and sought after colour. Especially on a TT6.

However, I would guess if you are planning a full respray, you're not planning on selling it anytime soon, so why worry? As long as the V5 matches, you shouldn't have a problem :)

Shouldn't change the value mate. If anything, may increase it slightly:1. Because it will be mint paint 2. Because 1A1 is a rare and sought after colour. Especially on a TT6.

However, I would guess if you are planning a full respray, you're not planning on selling it anytime soon, so why worry? As long as the V5 matches, you shouldn't have a problem :)

im very picky about paintwork and want it perfect, its booked in for repaint nxt week and really like 1a1 and there are plenty of black ones about, i maybe selling it later this year as iv got a 1999 tt6 aswell and cant keep the two of them, id sooner keep the 95 supra as its alot easier on petrol it would sell easier than the 99...

im very picky about paintwork and want it perfect, its booked in for repaint nxt week and really like 1a1 and there are plenty of black ones about, i maybe selling it later this year as iv got a 1999 tt6 aswell and cant keep the two of them, id sooner keep the 95 supra as its alot easier on petrol it would sell easier than the 99...

If you are planning on selling it then I wouldn't change the colour, you won't get the money back you are spending on the respray. If you are after the paint work being mint then get it detailed. Do a search for the threads by Stonkin to see the magic which can be done by a decent detailer.

If you are planning on selling it then I wouldn't change the colour, you won't get the money back you are spending on the respray. If you are after the paint work being mint then get it detailed. Do a search for the threads by Stonkin to see the magic which can be done by a decent detailer.
im not worried about spending the cash on repaint so long as the car is perfect, there is lacquer peel on the bonnet a wee bit on the doors and fading aswell would b hard to get a good detailer here to leave it as good as a repaint finish...

im not worried about spending the cash on repaint so long as the car is perfect, there is lacquer peel on the bonnet a wee bit on the doors and fading aswell would b hard to get a good detailer here to leave it as good as a repaint finish...

Ah then that would possibly need a respray or swap the bonnet & detail the car, if you check out Stonkin's work it will be like new. ;)

something i missed.. im new on here so maybe you could enlighten me.. cheers

Nothing against you mate!:thumbs:

I've been on a hunt for a genuine factory 1A1 car for ages but since posting my wanted thread everyone seems to have an urge to paint their car that colour....it's rare and that is what attracted me to it, but if everyone just sprays their car that colour it'll lose that desire!

Nothing against you mate!:thumbs:

I've been on a hunt for a genuine factory 1A1 car for ages but since posting my wanted thread everyone seems to have an urge to paint their car that colour....it's rare and that is what attracted me to it, but if everyone just sprays their car that colour it'll lose that desire!

i see what you mean, its an unusual colour and gives the supra a different look.. now i can ask you the question, would my car put you off buying it knowing it would originally have been black allso knowing that the chances of getting one in that colour is near impossible...

In all honesty mate I would only buy a factory 1A1...it's the rarity that attracts me.

I'm sure many wouldn't care and a good respray will attract buyers regardless of the cars original colour, but bronze and green are usually seen as desirable due to how few there are...like I said before that will change if everyone just sprays their car.

My car is black and IMO black is the best colour...I'm just greedy and want two!lol!

In all honesty mate I would only buy a factory 1A1...it's the rarity that attracts me.

I'm sure many wouldn't care and a good respray will attract buyers regardless of the cars original colour, but bronze and green are usually seen as desirable due to how few there are...like I said before that will change if everyone just sprays their car.

My car is black and IMO black is the best colour...I'm just greedy and want two!lol!

fair enough... im thinkin i should keep it original, a new paintjob will make it stand out anyway.. i will throw up some pics before and after... thanks for all comments..

my question is if i change the colour will it take from the resale value, will a prospective buyer turn his nose at it because its not its factory colour or should i leave it as is... thanks in advance for your advice..

A change of colour would definitely put me off.

As a prospective buyer I'd also be asking myself why the car has been resprayed eg. has it been accident damaged and repaired? If you do get the car resprayed I'd suggest getting before, during and after photos, so you can show any future buyer and obviously keep all the receipts and paperwork.

i see what you mean, its an unusual colour and gives the supra a different look.. now i can ask you the question, would my car put you off buying it knowing it would originally have been black allso knowing that the chances of getting one in that colour is near impossible...

Like Nic it would put me off too from a buyers prospective.

A change of colour would definitely put me off.

As a prospective buyer I'd also be asking myself why the car has been resprayed eg. has it been accident damaged and repaired? If you do get the car resprayed I'd suggest getting before, during and after photos, so you can show any future buyer and obviously keep all the receipts and paperwork.

no harm having pics of it before and after will help on resale.. the guy painting it is one of the best here and is pricey worth it for peace of mind.. will get pics up for all to see