The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre help and Advice

naybad

Hi all I am hoping that you can help me out. I have a BPU TT auto and am in need of new rear tyres they are 275 35 18. I have been thinking about putting on Maxxis MAZ1 Drift (165 fitted each) has anyone used them or have any opinions on them. I would love to get R888 however at 300 a tyre it’s just too much for me is there any other tyres that I should be looking at ???? Thanks for all the help [GRIN][/GRIN]

I thaught that tyre was for drift use? hence the name?

I had 2 sets of toyo t1-r (or is it tr-1) on my bpu and they were great for grip and lasted ages. Price was ok too.

888s are a waste on a bpu car as said. You dont need a tyre that grippy for 400ish bhp. If you think you do there is something more seriously wrong with your suspention or geo setup.

They also take time to warm up and in cold/damp probably never will. Are a soft compound so don't last long. And are not good in the rain as they are semi slick.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

I'd recommend the Vredestein, fantastic tyres in both wet & dry, perfect for BPU car.

They aren't the cheapest and if you wanted something a lot cheaper than I'd recommend the Falken's for bang for buck.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s333p107824/Vredestein_Tyres_Car_Vredestein_Ultrac_Sessanta_-_275_35_R18_99Y_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_67dB

I'd recommend the Vredestein, fantastic tyres in both wet & dry, perfect for BPU car.

They aren't the cheapest and if you wanted something a lot cheaper than I'd recommend the Falken's for bang for buck.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s333p107824/Vredestein_Tyres_Car_Vredestein_Ultrac_Sessanta_-_275_35_R18_99Y_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_E_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_67dB

I'll second that choice. Just bought a set for the rear in 265s that are getting fitted tomorrow hopefully, but I've had them in the past and can't fault them.

I got mine from Tyremen and in your 275s they're cheaper than Camskill but there will be delivery (£8) and fittment to go on top of that:

http://www.tyremen.co.uk/product/2125/27535r18-(99y)-ultrac-sessanta-xl.aspx

Edited by Stevo (see edit history)

I had a set of Avon ZZ3 on my Clio they did not last long at all didn’t find the grip level to good either.

Strange as i have them on my car and find them to be better than good, my business

partner also just put a set on his car and hasn't stopped going on about how impressed

he is with them especially in the wet.