The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Modification Impact? VOSA

Jellybean

Hey

They are talking about bringing in legislation here to tackle vehicle modifications

If a member modified their Supra, do you need to notify the DVLA?

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Vehicle-Standards/Information-Notes-Consultations--EU-proposals-/Consultations-/Active-Consultations/Consultation-on-Post-Registration-Vehicle-Modifications-/

PDF Quote

The guidelines would also require that modification work that does not involve the fitting of a part (such as body panel work or reworking an existing part (e.g. remapping of a vehicle’s electronic control unit (ECU)) also complies with applicable vehicle or components standards.

so you can remap a ecu but not fit a boost controller?

these people have nothing better to do, clearly justifying thier jobs.

Have a read of the article buddy ;)

It is just them saying they want to regulate modifications by saying that if anything is done and not been approved "Safe" then you can get a penalty.

So you can fit anything but just have to tell them and get it approved. Kinda silly.

Have a read of the article buddy ;)

It is just them saying they want to regulate modifications by saying that if anything is done and not been approved "Safe" then you can get a penalty.

So you can fit anything but just have to tell them and get it approved. Kinda silly.

are just re read it they are saying that it also requires approval.... ok its all stupid then :D

If you get your ECU remapped, Lower the Suspension etc you need approval

If you got a complete overhaul like Inferno, Ikyea Suspension etc A lot of after market parts , imagine the $$ it may cost you to get this accessed and approved!

It may finally put modifying Public road cars to sleep over here, in some instances it does state you may need to re-register the car based on its modification(s)

They mentioned the UK, Australia, New Zealand in the PDF , I was just wondering at what point do you guys need to declare mods to the DVLA.

This was discussed and a huge petition fired to the gov from the kit car side of things as the legislation extends to parts and therefore kit car donors, fingers crossed it was read and understood it would kill the modding industry and kit car industry whilst making another arm of the government a few more pounds

cant we just say the car had the mod when you bought it?

No, because it would be on the system in theory.

The trouble would be putting a time on when the "changes" were made, to need approval. So say, any modifications made on or after 01 January 2010 as an example. They would then have to prove anything you have done since then, was not done before.

With the diversity of parts available, both cosmetic and performance, it would be impossible to police it. Even when it came to MOT's, unless the person doing the mot is an "expert" in every type of car, the chances are, they wouldn't know either way.

Stick a side mount intercooler and a cat on a BPU car, and would you be able to tell if you didn't know what you were looking for? More than likely not.

As I said, its way too difficult to police it and enforce it, so it more than likely wont happen.

id like to see some sort of aproval for mods needed, remember, just because you now how to fit parts to your car safely not everybody does. just today i had a young lad with a fiesta whod fitted his shiney new alloys wit the oem steel wheel bolts that went nearly all the way through the much larger wheel holes rather thatn use the bigger wheel nuts provided. also didnt know what the "plastic spacer rings" (spigot rings) were for . he came in to have the wheels balances because th car was shaking violently at speed. the frikking wheels were rattleing about on the studs. i lioke modding cars ect but in all honest there are a lot of dangerous car around becuse of over enthusiastic, under educated kids just sticking parts to there cars. plus it would be good for the industry, im sure places like srd, whifbits, ect would see benifits if all mods had to be profesionally fitted or at the least profesionally inspected and approved after fitting

id like to see some sort of aproval for mods needed, remember, just because you now how to fit parts to your car safely not everybody does. just today i had a young lad with a fiesta whod fitted his shiney new alloys wit the oem steel wheel bolts that went nearly all the way through the much larger wheel holes rather thatn use the bigger wheel nuts provided. also didnt know what the "plastic spacer rings" (spigot rings) were for . he came in to have the wheels balances because th car was shaking violently at speed. the frikking wheels were rattleing about on the studs. i lioke modding cars ect but in all honest there are a lot of dangerous car around becuse of over enthusiastic, under educated kids just sticking parts to there cars. plus it would be good for the industry, im sure places like srd, whifbits, ect would see benifits if all mods had to be profesionally fitted or at the least profesionally inspected and approved after fitting

This!

At the very least, garages should be able to prohibit vehicles driven in a dangerous condition on the public highway. I.e. this car comes in with stupid wheel nuts, you prohibit the car from being driven. So they either trailer it away and fix it, or pay for it to be done professionally. This way, if it could be logged in the same way as an MOT, police (via ANPR) could see it it's got a prohibition notice against it. And then if it's been ignored and it's being driven to anywhere other than a pre-arranged inspection at the issuing garage, it should be removed and squashed.

By all this I mean DANGEROUS faults. Not just stupid stuff like emissions, bulbs etc, more like bald tyres, wrong wheel nuts, dodgy brakes....

I knew you'd put that up! :D

I was reading MOT Matters today. The "bedding in" period for the new things to be tested that came in last january has been made "indefinate". I.e. they can't get away with half of it, so they're dropping it.

So all this "modification certification" stuff is image

The fact is that the number of problems caused by modified cars and bikes is very small. Of course, that won't stop some politician or bureaucrat bringing up the "danger" every few years.

You really need to be careful what you wish for, though. Just ask any Aussie what it's like dealing with a system that tries to control modified vehicles.

In Germany it has always been like this - EVERY mod you do to your car has to been TÜV (german MOT) approved. Usually you need a TÜV certificate for the specific part. If you don't have one, you can still get it approved by TÜV, but most of them don't do it. Cou'd have to find one somewhere in Germany, who does it. Sometimes we drive hundrets of miles, just to get our mod approved. Usually these guys take A LOT of money and it's still not legal, but at least you got some type of approval. Then you just hope, that the cops won't notivce it.

Since there aren't a lot of supras in Germany, manufacturers don't get their parts TÜV approved, so we got to go through a lot of hazzle to get our mods approved here.

I hope, they won't bvring it to UK. Would make parts and mods way more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...