The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra vvti triptronic...pls comment

mikail

Hi peeps

I have found a x reg triptronic vvti with 50000 miles on the clock

Its a gun metal grey with a body kit fitted in japan i think its bomex

1 owner last 9 yrs body work is 7.5 out of 10 due for a service and tax is expires in march

5 month mot....engine ia standard....7500 is the price

Now i hope you guys can help with some answers

.....is it worth it??

Is the triptronic as good as the pre-face lift auto?

Are they quick as a non vvti?

How reliable are they?

Is it expensive to do a bpu on them?

How many members own a vvti triptronic please share your experiance..

And can the guys that own 1 post some pictures up please to get an idea of the interior and mods they have done...

Thank you for your time

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a pretty much the same spec, apart from no body kit and 40,000 miles. I've found it a really good drive, the triptronic feature takes a second or so to react once you've pressed up or down but you can get used to when you need to press it pretty quickly. Only downside to my opinion is that I've not driven any other type of Supra or even measured against another performance wise. I think I am right in saying that it is just as easy and expensive as any supra to do a BPU on.

Got no interior pics sorry.

.....is it worth it??

Seems a reasonable price

Is the triptronic as good as the pre-face lift auto?

It's basically the same auto gearbox but also includes buttons on the steering wheel to change gear.

IAre they quick as a non vvti?

The VVTi has a broader torque and power curve, so if anything they are slightly quicker.

How reliable are they?

As reliable as a non VVTi, like any Supra reliability will depends on how well the car has been maintained, they are old cars now and parts wear out so I'd suggest getting some one who knows Supras to give it the once over for you.

Is it expensive to do a bpu on them?

No more expensive than a non-VVTi

How many members own a vvti triptronic please share your experiance..

And can the guys that own 1 post some pictures up please to get an idea of the interior and mods they have done...

Do a search of the members garage.

Here is mine sorry none of interior but I find its better than the none facelift as its not got the rubbery coating on it that wears off

Also you should have the better facelift headlights and rear lights

Mine is bpu and its the same as yerlyer ones to do

Only prob with the tiptronic is the gearbox ecu is in with the engine ecu not separate like the earlier cars, this means when you delimit it can be a problem as the car thinks its doing 111 leptons but you could be doing 150 leptons so it thinks it can change down , bang

Don't let that scare you as it's just a case of getting use to the pedal as I have got upto 170 on the autobahn abroad chasing a Ferrari till my trd blade broke lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360091328.441663.jpg

Here is mine sorry none of interior but I find its better than the none facelift as its not got the rubbery coating on it that wears off

Also you should have the better facelift headlights and rear lights

Mine is bpu and its the same as yerlyer ones to do

Only prob with the tiptronic is the gearbox ecu is in with the engine ecu not separate like the earlier cars, this means when you delimit it can be a problem as the car thinks its doing 111 leptons but you could be doing 150 leptons so it thinks it can change down , bang

Don't let that scare you as it's just a case of getting use to the pedal as I have got upto 170 on the autobahn abroad chasing a Ferrari till my trd blade broke lol

Wow that is some useful information....so do u feel its a good price 7500?? Its got a few scuffs and scrapes the lights are a lil cloudy and how much did it cost u to bpu??

What is the bhp on a stock?

And bhp on bpu?

Stock is supposedly 280ish on imports, but that's a load of rubbish stock it's more like 320-330 and BPU is generally around the 400bhp mark but it depends on the turbos and boost your running them at :) and I'd say that's a good price for said car, might be able to knock him or her down to 6500 I reckon then it would be very good depending upon what sort of service history it's got as well.

Hey twisted thank you for your comment....be honest do you love your supra??

YES! I absolutely adore my supra. I smile every time I drive her. I miss a manual car every now and then but then all I do is push it into Manual mode and have some fun then I don't miss a manual anymore :)

Only 3 types of supras would make me sell her.. 1. standard black tt6 low milage and good condition - 2. tt6 aero standard body and good condition - 3. any of the previous but a single conversion.

From what I read on here I am under the impression that a VVTI should have 25ish more BHP than a non-VVTI so that puts it at 345 straight out the factory. Of course the years and the maintenance carried out along with the abuse its received would lower that figure.

I dnt have no links ...it was up for sale 5months ago i jus kept his number as i rang him today and he sed he will sell it if we gave him near offer

See what happenz...but thanks u guys for helpin out

If i delimit it how bad is this issue of the symptons mentioned earlier ie dropping dwn gears and bang

Can u convert it to 6 speed??