The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ecu question

scott87

I've been eyeing up some parts trying to figure out my parts if i go na-t rather than na-tt.

Im pretty sure ive found:

1. manifold

2. Turbo

3. Intercooler

4. Bov

5. Boost controller and guage

6. Air filter

7. Sandwhich plate and oil cooler?

8. Turbo oil lines

My question is running a nice small turbo im looking to keep the car relatively stock engine wise. What ecu would be best to use and as im not going mega power is a 'piggy back' an option? The ecu seems to be the most expensive component so want to get this right and aftermarket ecu's are pretty new to me.

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

Yes piggy back is an option , what's your power goals I have heard of guys running 500 ish on piggy backs but if your going much higher standalone will be your friend!!! Find a tuner, see what they use and go that way, there's a lot more parts required for na-t, to be comparible to a tt drop in anywy

Yes piggy back is an option , what's your power goals I have heard of guys running 500 ish on piggy backs but if your going much higher standalone will be your friend!!! Find a tuner, see what they use and go that way, there's a lot more parts required for na-t, to be comparible to a tt drop in anywy

Well parts wise i think na-t is a nicer build, but its the cost that is the main decider at the moment. All the parts ive found so far come in at around £700, so its just the ecu and a few other bits that im looking at especially the nice aluminium intake pipes etc.

Im looking for around 350bhp, Something around that mark. So nice and low really that way the w58 can stay and the engine can stay stock.

Air enough, I am building an a-t at the moment and with everything all in I'm probably looking at 2k in parts alone, I haven't done a proper budget build though. I old say 3-350 is a sensible idea,if that's your goal then an idea maybe an apexi safc or emanage blue, get yourself into the club na-t group on here.

Air enough, I am building an a-t at the moment and with everything all in I'm probably looking at 2k in parts alone, I haven't done a proper budget build though. I old say 3-350 is a sensible idea,if that's your goal then an idea maybe an apexi safc or emanage blue, get yourself into the club na-t group on here.

Spot on thanks. What about Map-Ecu, they seem to be used by quite a few people and are a nice reasonable price at around £180.

Im hoping to do the complete build for circa £1300, Considering all parts are going to be used par the turbo, intercooler and intake piping.

Ive been reading through that thread of the na-t, some good stuff in there. As is your early turbo build too :D

Can't tell you about map ecu haven't read or heard anything about them, no offence but I've come here from the kit car world and we always say set your budget....then double it. But if your patience and get parts slow time I am sure it's possible . if you havent seen already don't buy an intercooler pipe kit you ave to build it yourself. I am really at the beginning stages , jus getting parts and am still looking for an emanage ultimate which s what I would suggest if you want more power later or an aem fic 8.

Can't tell you about map ecu haven't read or heard anything about them, no offence but I've come here from the kit car world and we always say set your budget....then double it. But if your patience and get parts slow time I am sure it's possible . if you havent seen already don't buy an intercooler pipe kit you ave to build it yourself. I am really at the beginning stages , jus getting parts and am still looking for an emanage ultimate which s what I would suggest if you want more power later or an aem fic 8.

Yer i've done a build before and my budget went from £800 to £3500, so im fully aware of the dangers :blink: Ill have another read around about that ecu.

Im not in a hurry at all and am going to collect the parts slowly, so hoping to stick to my budget, the only thing out of my control is mapping. I agree the ecu would need changing at a later date if i go for more power, but then i will need a new box etc too so that wont be happening on this initial build.

I want to make the intake piping myself and try and use single pieces rather than joining rubbers/silicone, but again ill have to see how that goes :D

- - - Updated - - -

Megasquirt is a option if you can find someone to map it, feature rich and doesn't break the bank

They are a good price. thanks for that :D

I use an AEM piggy backed ecu on my NA-T and that runs sweet. Don't underestimate the cost of doing a nice conversion. I used a lot of XS Power kit and the price still came in at over £3k by the time it was all finished. Money well spent though.

Ok thanks :)

Can i ask other than whats on my list what do i need?

I use an AEM piggy backed ecu on my NA-T and that runs sweet. Don't underestimate the cost of doing a nice conversion. I used a lot of XS Power kit and the price still came in at over £3k by the time it was all finished. Money well spent though.

Was that a fic 8?? How did you find it.

I am now looking at ms3 I hear there are issues when fitting a trigger wheel though

Here's my list so far.. Hope it helps? Iv been very luck and found some little gems on eBay and off here.

Xs t4 manifold £195

T61 turbo t4 3" v-band £350

Wastegate £75

Fmic £65 deliverd

Intercooler Piping 3" £78

Screamer pipe £25

4" Downpipe + mid pipe £245

Oil cooler £40

Aem boost gauge/controller £140(used)

Aem afr gauge £100

Bov saqv £40

4 runner dizzy £30

Oil filter sandwich plate £10

Walbro 255 fuel pump £55

thermostatic oil sandwich plate £55

Depo Oil temp and pressure gauges £100

Oil return/feed pipe inc fittings £40 used (braided hose needs replacing)

Ecu Extension harness £50

Emange ultimate ecu £230

Parts I still need:

Ecu harness £82

3bar map sensor £60ish

4an Oil feed flange £15

10an braided hose £?

Boost hose £?

4" intake £?

Fmic brackets top 115mm / bottom 175mm

90degree 2.5- 3"

No2 ignition lead £12

Heat wrap £20

Turbo shield £40

Mapping session £270

Here's my list so far.. Hope it helps? Iv been very luck and found some little gems on eBay and off here.

Xs t4 manifold £195��

T61 turbo t4 3" v-band £350��

Wastegate £75 ��

Fmic £65 deliverd ��

Intercooler Piping 3" £78 ��

Screamer pipe £25��

4" Downpipe + mid pipe £245 ��

Oil cooler £40 ��

Aem boost gauge/controller £140��(used)

Aem afr gauge £100 ��

Bov saqv £40��

4 runner dizzy £30 ��

Oil filter sandwich plate £10 ��

Walbro 255 fuel pump £55��

thermostatic oil sandwich plate £55��

Depo Oil temp and pressure gauges £100��

Oil return/feed pipe inc fittings £40 ��used (braided hose needs replacing)

Ecu Extension harness £50��

Emange ultimate ecu £230 ��

Parts I still need:

Ecu harness £82

3bar map sensor £60ish

4an Oil feed flange £15

10an braided hose £?

Boost hose £?

4" intake £?

Fmic brackets top 115mm / bottom 175mm

90degree 2.5- 3"

No2 ignition lead £12