The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting around the MOT Emissions test.

Fizzy T

My best mates girlfriend's Proton Satria failed on emissions the other day and an interesting topic followed with the tester. Apparently if the vehicle being tested only has one seat it can't be classed as a passenger vehicle and thus is exempt from having to pass an emissions test. The tester even called Vosa while we were there to double check and they confirmed it to be true! So out came the passenger seat *full roll cage is fitted so no rears are present anyway* and the tester passed the car. :blink:

Has anybody heard of this? Either way I know where I'm taking my Supra once it's had it's decat pipes bought and fitted haha!

Yea but it says no more than 5 seats in addition to the driver... doesn't say anything about a minimum of seats to include the driver, leaves it up to interpretation. Happy that you found someone that interprets it the way we would like it to be :D

Technically, it becomes a car derived van.

When I used to own a Mk3 Fiesta all stripped out running a 2.0 Zetec engine I only had one seat in it for the MOT and the guy failed it on the emissions lol I think it's down to who you meet and whether or not they are willing to judge it as it is or as a passenger vehicle. If I knew what I know now back then I'd of raised it doesn't qualify as a passenger vehicle and saved myself money on a new cat and the hassle of fitting the bugger in the rain! :banghead:

When I used to own a Mk3 Fiesta all stripped out running a 2.0 Zetec engine I only had one seat in it for the MOT and the guy failed it on the emissions lol I think it's down to who you meet and whether or not they are willing to judge it as it is or as a passenger vehicle. If I knew what I know now back then I'd of raised it doesn't qualify as a passenger vehicle and saved myself money on a new cat and the hassle of fitting the bugger in the rain! :banghead:

It's generally about how the manual is deciphered. VOSA word it so badly that it makes it difficult, but it's all in there. You just have to cross reference stuff a lot. Unless there's a IDIOT PROOF flow chart. :D