The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FizzyT's Bargain TT Auto Thread

Fizzy T

Hey there guys,

Some of you might remember my Newbie post back in August about how I'd be picking up my Supra Twin Turbo Auto UK Spec and that I was chuffed with the deal I'd made to get it? Well I finally picked it up in November [GRIN][/GRIN] It's all I hoped it to be but with the price I paid of course it was going to need some work!

It was stood for 5 years and I did an oil and filter change before I even started it up :thumbs: It now seems to have a blown head gasket,or at least that's what I think it is. It's got the tell tell sign of creamy gunk on the inside of the oil filler cap :taped:

It must be in the early stages as it doesn't seem to of lost any coolant or suffered any performance related issues. Doe's anybody have any advice? Costs involved in parts and which brands/parts to buy etc? I'll do the work myself.

Here's the car *because everybody loves pictures*

Oh and I only paid £970 for it :p The deposit I put down on it was a PS3 haha!

Edited by Fizzy T (see edit history)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest another oil change after giving it a good flush out

If it was stood for 5 Years, then chances are moisture got in there

It is at least worth a try, headgaskets going are very rare on a 2JZ, especially if stock

O and your a jammy git lol:p;)

Just to add, you are using a decent oil aren't you, cheap oil can leave a bit of gunk around

The whole car is pretty mint too,the last owner just parked it up because he had an issue with the V5 and never got it sorted out. It's done 100,500 miles now so I'm going to do the cam belt just to be sure. Gates belts seem to be the one to go for? I'm a firm believer of futureproofing so if the head gasket is proven to be gone I'll get ARP bolts and uprate before I rebuild. I want more boost! :D

Here's pictures of how it was before we gave it a clean and did the oil and filter.

From...

To...

:D

Oh and yes it's completely stock too! :p

The tyres scare me though :( Plenty of tread *look like they were new before it was parked up* but cracks have formed in the treads from being 5 years plus odd. She doesn't like to go over 60mph. It shudders like the wheels aren't balanced so I'm guessing major tyre deformation/degradation.

£970?!

The person I bought it off didn't know much about the car and just wanted rid of it. I sorted out the V5 issues with her and jokingly offered her £1000 for the car as is and a PS3 that I'd just bought for £170 as a £200 down payment as a deposit *I knew she wanted one*.

She accepted :D

Is it on the dippy stick or just the oil cap?

Nope the dip stick is clean. I'm hoping it's just residual water vapour that was able to get into the system from storage coming back through now it's being used but who knows.

Ok guys will do. I'll place another order for oil soon enough but in the mean time I'll keep an eye on her and continue to drive slowly until I can get new tyres. Any recommendations on which tyres to go for? I've been quoted around £700 fitted for 4 Pirelli directional performance tyres inc fitting and balancing etc.

BTW as this is seemingly going off topic should a moderator move this to become my Supra's progress thread? I'll leave it to the powers that be.

Either way cheers for the warm welcome,I intend to get to a bluewater meet in future but not until she's been detailed and has new tyres!

I know that some Vauxhall engines can "gunk up" in the oil cap but have no head gasket issues and as you seem to have no coolant loss or performance issues I would go with the condensation in the rocker especially as it was stood for so long .......you could always check the spark plugs for another indication of how things are burning in each cylinder and as Wile e coyote recommended a "sniff" test of the coolant .

Bargain of the century dude !!!!:sly:

Yeah it even passed the mot with no advisories or issues at all on the day I did the service/picked it up. The only issue I have with it is the Active spoiler is seized up and the bonnet wouldn't stay closed on the day of the mot...got around a fail on that by just telling the guy I'd popped the bonnet for him ready for the test :eyebrows:

Replaced the cable and unseized the active spoiler now but a week later the spoiler seized up again lol I'm going to do as Marc aka Team Beard told me. Remove the lip and bolt it on. :D

Looks like you have landed yourself a bit of a bargain there. :thumbs:

Word of advice though; I'd preserve the future value of the car by keeping it completely OEM.

In a few more years UK cars will be few and far between, and totally stock examples will be very rare. So if I were you I'd replace the motor on the active spoiler, there must be plenty of people on the club who have fitted a FMIC and only bolted the lip on leaving all the mechanism in the shed.

It's easy enough to change over, just unplug the electrics that go to the active spoiler and remove the few bolts holding it on, swap the bits over as required and re-fit. :)

Edit: see RobD above. :D

I've got a working mechanism minus the blade if your interested?

Given what you paid for the car I'd be all over this! Wouldn't facy driving around with it lowered all the time.

P.s. welcome to the club, looks like you got an absolute steal, good to see an original UK car being brought back to life.

Nah it's ok buddy, I'm going to remove the mechanism so I can just bolt it on.I've already removed my Air con system ready for a FMIC. You apparently can't fit a FMIC with the standard mechanism in the way so I'm going to want it out the way anyway.

On another note I must thank you again for sending me the full lock set plus steering column I bought off you on here.It's because of you that I was able to pick up the Supra in the first place since the last owner lost the keys! So thanks again :friday:

Nah it's ok buddy, I'm going to remove the mechanism so I can just bolt it on.I've already removed my Air con system ready for a FMIC. You apparently can't fit a FMIC with the standard mechanism in the way so I'm going to want it out the way anyway.

On another note I must thank you again for sending me the full lock set plus steering column I bought off you on here.It's because of you that I was able to pick up the Supra in the first place since the last owner lost the keys! So thanks again :friday:

Why the FMIC, what power goals are you going for? I thought the SMIC's offered by Whifbitz etc were rated to over 500bhp. I'm in no doubt that the current intercooler is as much use as a chocolate fire guard given it's age and time left standing in the elements but I'd personally be looking to keep the active spoiler and change it out for a new SMIC. Each to their own though . . . .

As said, if it's been stood for a while it's probably just condensation, an oil change and then getting the oil temps above 100C should burn of any moisture.

She's had over 500 miles added on since I picked her up so I'm hoping the sludge in the cap is the result of this water evaporating and mixing with oil vapours. I've read lots about 2JZ reliability and I'm hoping to not be proved wrong.

Looks like you have landed yourself a bit of a bargain there. :thumbs:

Word of advice though; I'd preserve the future value of the car by keeping it completely OEM.

In a few more years UK cars will be few and far between, and totally stock examples will be very rare. So if I were you I'd replace the motor on the active spoiler, there must be plenty of people on the club who have fitted a FMIC and only bolted the lip on leaving all the mechanism in the shed.

It's easy enough to change over, just unplug the electrics that go to the active spoiler and remove the few bolts holding it on, swap the bits over as required and re-fit. :)

Edit: see RobD above. :D

As much as I agree with you about preserving the value of the car and keeping it standard...I can't help but want to add my own mark. I've never not owned a car and modified it and owning a Supra has been my dream for as long as I can remember. Until I've added my own touches It's not truly mine ;)

I'd be freeing up the mechanism before taking the blade off and

bolting it to the bumper, much better to have that working in my

opinion and sounds like it just needs some lube or copper slip in

the joints so a simple cheap fix.

Exactly my thinking.If I can get a FMIC in there without removing the active spoiler I'll definitely be doing this.