The mkiv Supra Owners Club

a little bit disheartened

masterfett

Well im basically about to have a rant here and im sure many of you have been in the same boat before. My love for my supra is fading fast. and id just like other peoples opinions! I took it off the road just before christmas because something was causing the rear left tyre to wear quickly (thought this would give me a chance to sort some little niggles aswell). I have been keeping it at my old dears in her garage as i dont have one at my house... Anyway so i pop round this afternoon, thought i would change the brake pads as this was on my to do list. in the stark light of day it has become apparent that keeping it in her garage was a bad idea. Only thing i can put it down to is the tumble dryer. But the interior was totally covered in mould, the paintwork especially on the boot has started to rust (can see it coming through) I knew before putting it in that i would have to Fork out for a new front bumper (bomex one has taken 1 to many speed bumps) and and the passenger wing has got a little damage. I am currently waiting on a price for a wing from keron.. but now im having second thoughts.

Do i spend the money putting everything right? the bills are mounting up ... and im not to sure if i can really justify spending the money on a N/A ... despite it being manual. ..

Do i break it for spares and actually get some money back. Lets face it N/A Supra arent exactly expensive.

My plan was to gather all the parts to go NA-T but now when i add up what i was going to spend on that, plus the fact that i need to sort the bodywork im thinking maybee i should look into getting a TT.

Sorry for the rant (needed to vent)

i know how you feel,last year think i only drove mine to get its mot done, ,i dont use it for work because i dont have onsite parking and i have to park in a public car park so have a daily instead,its sorn at the moment with a cover on it was damaged last year by a council guy cutting the grass he it the drivers side wing with a ride on mower,the rear discs are badly rusted from all the rain because its sorn cant drive it to clear the rust off the discs,the paint is blistering a little bit quess it could be the car cover.

its getting repaired soon the council have paid to get it fixed,i have lots of new parts to go on including new wheels but not sure its worth keeping to drive once or twice a year mine to is a n/a.

however on a decent day there is no better feeling than driving it and my young son loves it.

Sorry to hear this mate! Know how it feels nearly losing the love! But wait until its on the road and you take that first drive, love will come right back!!

Judging by the problems you could break it and the money you saved fixing it get a TT or another NA?

...or give the interior a good scrub, sort the problems through people on the forum to keep it cheap and stop another supra dying ;)

Yep im going to have a good hard think about the whole situation for the rest of the weekend. Its hard because i love the car, but at the same time the money i spend on it could be spent on another one, a newer one and possibly a TT!

But on the other hand it is like you said another supra dying.. especially seems i know 100% the parts would sell on there own for more than what i would get for the car as a whole!

Dilema!

Well im basically about to have a rant here and im sure many of you have been in the same boat before. My love for my supra is fading fast. and id just like other peoples opinions! I took it off the road just before christmas because something was causing the rear left tyre to wear quickly (thought this would give me a chance to sort some little niggles aswell). I have been keeping it at my old dears in her garage as i dont have one at my house... Anyway so i pop round this afternoon, thought i would change the brake pads as this was on my to do list. in the stark light of day it has become apparent that keeping it in her garage was a bad idea. Only thing i can put it down to is the tumble dryer. But the interior was totally covered in mould, the paintwork especially on the boot has started to rust (can see it coming through) I knew before putting it in that i would have to Fork out for a new front bumper (bomex one has taken 1 to many speed bumps) and and the passenger wing has got a little damage. I am currently waiting on a price for a wing from keron.. but now im having second thoughts.

Do i spend the money putting everything right? the bills are mounting up ... and im not to sure if i can really justify spending the money on a N/A ... despite it being manual. ..

Do i break it for spares and actually get some money back. Lets face it N/A Supra arent exactly expensive.

My plan was to gather all the parts to go NA-T but now when i add up what i was going to spend on that, plus the fact that i need to sort the bodywork im thinking maybee i should look into getting a TT.

Sorry for the rant (needed to vent)

Nor are TT's so I'd personally sell the current one or break it & then put a bit of money towards a TT and happy days :)

I had mine SORN for 2 years. Have only just got it back up and running, but still spending lots. Problem with Supras is that you reach a point where you are pot committed. What do you do? Set up another breaking thread? Driving round today covered over 150 miles and would always have seen at least one in that time, but not today. They are becoming a rarity due to cost to properly maintain.

Good luck, spend as little as you need to get it road worthy, take it for a good hard thrashing and then see what you want to do.

Guest DisTraction

I had a NA auto about 6 years ago, i sold it for a altezza rs200z that was traded after 5 years for a 350z. I swapped the z for the TT auto i have now.

My point is if you have love for the Supra it is damn hard to shake it. Despite the other cars i still had a want for the Supra, i even test drove a new 86. Still took the Supra, good luck. :)

I had a NA auto about 6 years ago, i sold it for a altezza rs200z that was traded after 5 years for a 350z. I swapped the z for the TT auto i have now.

My point is if you have love for the Supra it is damn hard to shake it. Despite the other cars i still had a want for the Supra, i even test drove a new 86. Still took the Supra, good luck. :)

Funny enough it is very rare to see people go back to the same type of car after they sold it. In this club I have seen a huge amount of people returning after buying a different car! Myself included!!

Rust and things going wrong are what you have to live with on cars

that are getting on for 20 years old.

Even imports rust and against popular belief come from Japan rusty, all

you need is water, oxygen and a ferrous metal and hey presto you get

rust

Breaking this and buying a tt won't change that and if it depresses you

that much buy a newer sensible car.

Lots of these cars are just not worth buying now, i spent more replacing

my suspension than most na's sell for and a few tt's as well.

You need to think about what your long term plans are for the car. If you're already thinking that an n/a isn't for you and you have to have more power (not everyone does) then yes, it probably is time to either sell it or break it. On the other hand, if you're planning on keeping it and think that an n/a will make you happy, then spending money on it is worthwhile.

I bought my n/a a long time ago for nearly £6k, at a time when this was the going price for what was then a rare car in the uk (a facelift). If I was to add to that the money I've spent on it over the years I could have had an amazing tt (if I'd wanted one), but I'm more than happy with my car and I see the money spent on it as well spent - in terms of body work, and mechanically, it's 100%. Easily the most reliable car that I've ever owned, and (imo) there's still nothing out there that comes anywhere close to looking as good for similar money.

For info, a brand new wing from Toyota is a little over £100. Rusty boot lid's par for the course, painting it and the wing will be in the region of £250. Won't take much to clean the mould, maybe stick a de-humidifier in the garage for a while too, and have a look to see if you can track down where the air's getting in.

Time of year too, once the sun comes out and you get out in it for a run you'll find the love again :)

Guest DisTraction
Funny enough it is very rare to see people go back to the same type of car after they sold it. In this club I have seen a huge amount of people returning after buying a different car! Myself included!!

I swapped the Z for the Supra and got horribly ripped off, but what I got was a uk spec auto TT that was one of about 6 sold new here in NZ.

That makes it a rear car and fulfills my purpose of getting it for a collectors car that I love, it needs a bit of work but I will get there (maybe).

The supra is Beauty and the beast, whats not to love (and that sweet note)