The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-t or a na-tt

Guest aspire

hi guys, not being very mechanically minded or scared to throw myself in and try! im now at the point where i have done all the bits on my supra, and it just lacks the power now, i am or wanting to go down the NA-T route after reading some of the other members threads on here, it must be such an amazing thing to do. knowing you did it yourself, or just drop a tt lump in and pay the extra dosh, one question i have is, how does an NA-T drive? is it subtle or does it just blow you away, im not sure how a TT drives either as i havent been lucky enough to try, but i did get a ride when i saw craig (dr jeckyl) and it just blew me away,but it was a very short drive! im looking for reliabillity...... one last question the twin turbo guys which have gone single. what are the benefits? or could an NA-T be classed as a single turbo??

Im in your same position.

My main thought at the moment is Toyota reliability (tt) or going na-t and relying on my n/a engine and mechanical work i complete / have completed. But cost does come into it. A blown na-t means a new n/a engine (Pounds), a blown tt engine could mean thousands. But then again tt are pretty dam reliable.

Guess im still confused which to do! :blink:

cheers but craig seemed to put these together for a relative small outlay. if i was going down this route i would do most fabrication work myself with a decent club member who knows the ins and outs of doing a build. i understand reliable is a must but these engines are pretty bullet proof, i have a donor engine on a stand to start so i cant help thinking just have a go

It all depends on money. As mentioned, a decent NA-T will cost more and be more of a ball ache than a NA-TT. I think Keron's got a TT lump just in. NA-T's usually run 400ish bhp as a max. TT's start at 320. That right there answered my question when I bought my TT lump.

cheers but craig seemed to put these together for a relative small outlay. if i was going down this route i would do most fabrication work myself with a decent club member who knows the ins and outs of doing a build. i understand reliable is a must but these engines are pretty bullet proof, i have a donor engine on a stand to start so i cant help thinking just have a go

Craig did it for so little because he used all second hand parts, minus the turbo (which he had as a spare for the track car iirc) and did all the work himself.

He said he could get me single minus ecu for £2k, but I just wouldn't trust it :( not because of his work, but because of the parts.

If you go NA-t, do it properly, and you're easily looking at £3-4k. NA-TT about £3k if someone does it for you.

I took a while to decide as well, as the NA-T route intrigued me, but I ended up going down the TT route

My reasons are a few

The power delivery is better in my opinion, the TT is a fairly smooth controlled delivery, although I went straight to BPU, so it does hit a bit harder

I wanted the reliability factor and the easier fix if something does play up, the TT is a well known system and if something does go wrong, then someone can usually help with the answers on here

The NA-T route can be a bit of a ball ache with getting the parts together and fabrication of custom parts, which doesn't suite me, I like the easier options in life, as my spare time is sparce

It really comes down to a couple of things

Are you really handy with a spanner and competant to do on going mechanical repairs yourself, as going NA-T is likely to cause the need

Also depends what sort of power delivery you want, the all go NA-T or the more GT style TT

For me the big factor was the power delivery, although mine at BPU still throws you back in the seat

Another thing to consider is your Gearbox, I am 5-speed Manual and pushing it to the limit according to general consent on here, I would think running similar power on an NA-T would deliver the power in a way to push the gearbox harder than the TT does..............I wait to be shot down on that statement though

Good luck which ever way you decide, but try and get a decent ride in a few versions and not at just flatout driving sort of thing, see if you get a feel for normal fun driving as well

In my opinion, I've been in a bpu supra ( troops ) and my budget NA-t ( NA-t for nearly 3 years ).

Mine feels like it pulls a lot harder on acceleration, I'm not sure if its because its high compression but the difference was noticeable!

With mine being single I also think it sounds amazing compared to stock twins!

Both 2jz-GE and GTE cope with being singled very well. So as far as reliability goes your always going to get wear and tear wether your single or on stock twins!. If you want reliability stick to NA as there is less to go wrong as you have no turbo/turbos so one less thing to go wrong :)

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

cheers, but a decent TT lump are rather illusive at the best of times, i had spoken to keron but he says there is a long list, supply and demand seem to be the downfall...i would be doing the majority of the conversion myself with the aid of a decent chap on here. so everything is taken care of, if i sourced the parts etc and took my time, i think i could build something pretty special...lol, think i have answered my own questiom!! but if anybody has a TT lump please PM me...

Probably not what you want to hear but the best and cheapest option would be to sell the NA and buy a TT. If you really don't want to sell the car then next best and cheapest option would be a TT engine transplant. Doing a reliable NA-T conversion would be by far the most expensive option.

One thing to note is that a TT transplant and NA-T Supra won't be easy to sell on.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Probably not want to hear but the best and cheapest option would be to sell the NA and buy a TT. If you really don't want to sell the car then next best and cheapest option would be a TT engine transplant. Doing a reliable NA-T conversion would be by far the most expensive option.

One thing to note is that a TT transplant and NA-T Supra won't be easy to sell on.

This all day long

I've owned a TT BPU and been out in a NA-T. My BPU made 404.9bhp at Dynodaze and the NA-T made circa 375bhp on the same dyno. Comparing the two.. I preferred the power delivery and noise of the NA-T, my TT would of probably been a nicer drive day to day though. The NA-T felt quicker, weather that was down to the W58 box or the power delivery I'm not sure.

I'm at a similar cross roads as the OP as I own a NA now and decided to go NA-T with this Supra.

Probably not want to hear but the best and cheapest option would be to sell the NA and buy a TT. If you really don't want to sell the car then next best and cheapest option would be a TT engine transplant. Doing a reliable NA-T conversion would be by far the most expensive option.

i dont think its a financial thing for me, i have ploughed £000s into my NA and i consider it to be a very fine example. as said it is just crying out for power now. i do understand the resale issue, but surely in the club these things would sell all day long regardless of trying to make money on them.... its more of dream in my case i suppose, if i had the TT, i still think i would like to have a go at doing an NA-Tjust for the challenge, i think a member on here pjavon or something similar, his build was amazing and a credit to him and the club

i dont think its a financial thing for me, i have ploughed £000s into my NA and i consider it to be a very fine example. as said it is just crying out for power now. i do understand the resale issue, but surely in the club these things would sell all day long regardless of trying to make money on them.... its more of dream in my case i suppose, if i had the TT, i still think i would like to have a go at doing an NA-Tjust for the challenge, i think a member on here pjavon or something similar, his build was amazing and a credit to him and the club

Selling on, even on here would be difficult I'd say, probably even more so as there is a better knowledge base here, it's a buyers market now and I'd personally choose a genuine TT over a converted NA or NA-T.

What modifications have you made to the NA, any pics? If it were me I'd strip off the parts you've put money into, put the car back to stock(ish) sell on, buy a TT and then either fit the parts onto the new car or sell the parts separately to fund the new car, financially this would be the best option IMO. The other thing to consider is that a 2JZGTE motor is a much better option if you decided in future you wanted more power.

If you did do an NA-T conversion what sort of budget would you have?

Selling on, even on here would be difficult I'd say, probably even more so as there is a better knowledge base here, it's a buyers market now and I'd personally choose a genuine TT over a converted NA or NA-T.

What modifications have you made to the NA, any pics? If it were me I'd strip off the parts you've put money into, put the car back to stock(ish) sell on, buy a TT and then either fit the parts onto the new car or sell the parts separately to fund the new car, financially this would be the best option IMO. The other thing to consider is that a 2JZGTE motor is a much better option if you decided in future you wanted more power.

If you did do an NA-T conversion what sort of budget would you have?

Good advice here, though personally the only exception for me would be if the car was an NA6.

Do neither.

Buy a Single GTE. Not worth the hassle working on your NA for boost. if you go NA-T you have too many limitations against more power. Compression, trasmission.

NA-T 400bhp is cheaper than a TT swap with BPU all day long. The the reliabiliy these day's is pretty much worth the saving. IF you think your be happy with that then go for it (never met a driver who doesnt want more power).

A 600bhp NA-T compared against a TT 600bhp single, is dead in the water. And most NA-T owners I know are aiming for 600bhp next. Compression issues, transmission swap outs. Its big bucks, I wish I'd started with a single GTE engine and decent transmission. Once mines back on the road Im not doing much more, as I've fed up with ploughing money into a model that won't be worth much when its finished.

Sell it out, part it and sell as stock and buy a 6 speed single ALREADY done.

I could have bought one already... and Ive still just an NA that won't net back half what I've spent.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Do neither.

Buy a Single GTE. Not worth the hassle working on your NA for boost. if you go NA-T you have too many limitations against more power. Compression, trasmission.

NA-T 400bhp is cheaper than a TT swap with BPU all day long. The the reliabiliy these day's is pretty much worth the saving. IF you think your be happy with that then go for it (never met a driver who doesnt want more power).

A 600bhp NA-T compared against a TT 600bhp single, is dead in the water. And most NA-T owners I know are aiming for 600bhp next. Compression issues, transmission swap outs. Its big bucks, I wish I'd started with a single GTE engine and decent transmission. Once mines back on the road Im not doing much more, as I've fed up with ploughing money into a model that won't be worth much when its finished.

Sell it out, part it and sell as stock and buy a 6 speed single ALREADY done.

I could have bought one already... and Ive still just an NA that won't net back half what I've spent.

heed peoples warnings! no point wasting money!