The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just been crashed into (pics)

kokoro

I was crashed into an hour ago. I'm still shaking. Wasn't even that bad - one of those slow motion ones where you know it's going to happen, but there isn't a thing you can do. The guy was in a little convertible MG and pulled straight out of a junction into me. I had right of way and we were both turning right, so he pretty much went down my entire offside. I suppose it could have been worse - he could have been in a giant 4x4 or something.

I'm furious and sad at the same time.

The car still drives fine. Appears no damage to wheels/suspension. IMO it's all cosmetic. The door doesn't open/shut properly, but it will if you wiggle it. Please tell me the insurers will fix this and won't try to write it off....

DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0408.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

So sorry to see this!! :(

Glad you are okay though! All that needs is a new door & some light filler to get it 100% again.

It is possibly they could write off depending on what they valve it, I had minor damage like that from when a cab pulled out in front of me & they wrote it off. Though I brought the car back from the insurer & fixed it over one weekend!!

It's a low mileage NA (no clever comments - I'm already too mad!).

I figure it only needs a tiny bit of work on front wing. The skirt is only scuffed. I can't see any chunks out of it. The rear wing has minor scratches. The door is the worst thing. I guess it's the respraying that costs money....

What a crappy day.

:(

Did you get any witnesses to the accident?

The damage to me looking at the pictures does look cosmetic if it hasn't broken the skirt. New door and paint would be about £500 - £600 I reckon. Did the other guy admit responsibility? i am confused as to how you were both turning right? If you were stationary and had witnesses then you'll be fine but the insurance will go 50/50 if it was how I imagine it.

I would personally keep the insurance out of it if the guy offers to pay for the damage. A decent doby shop should sort that easy.

H.

Id say that is just a new door and the rest is very light repairs. Door will need to be painted and then the panels will need to be blended thats where the pennies will come into it.

To give you an idea of cost i just had,

Front bumper repair (big crack), respray font bumper

Front wing bent, repaired, then respray

Rear bumper respray, blend into rear quarters (a lot of paint!)

Cost £600 (Hope that gives you an idea of cost.)

Edited by scott87 (see edit history)

See if you can find a door in the same colour then get a bit of paint done. Job done.

Is it going through the insurance or can it be resolved amicably with the other driver to pay for the damage if you can produce some quotes? They may not want to claim themselves depending on their no-claim entitlement and the fact that it wouldn't take much damage on an MG to write it off! ;)

Damage on your car really doesn't look bad at all and I'm sure you could sort it yourself for very little expense. If you're not capable of changing a door, I'm sure someone on here would help you out.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel a bit better now.

The guy admitted it was his fault from the off. I had a work colleague in the car at the time who I suppose is a witness. There were plenty of cars on the road and at the junction, but none stopped.

The guy suggested insurance from the off, so that's how we're doing it. I never even thought about doing it any other way (I was in shock!), plus I need a hire car.

Harvard, I've done a diagram which may explain how it happened. Definitely the guy's fault (because women are better drivers!).

Accident.jpg

As far as the offer of the door - I'll keep it in mind if the insurance try to say it's not worth fixing. Thanks.

sorry to see that mate but I know ins co's are funny at times! did you get all his/her's details etc?? if so did they hit you or was it 50/50???

I would try and make them pay for YOUR bodyshop of choice and stay away from ins as you will end up paying more when come to renew falt or no falt :rolleyes:

Looking at the pics just a door will be needed as its just a skin and bends as you can see :(

but doors can be picked up for about £100 or cheaper a little tlc to wing and skirt then paint and blend in jobs done I would think around the £500-£625 mark all in

couple hours work on repairs, bolt on door, paint a little job for them really 2-3 days at most

if stuck for a door Im sure one of us will have some spare or keron def will have in stock

Edited by supra900bhp (see edit history)

How lucky is that? All removable panels save a minor scrape on the rear wing. New door, either fill and paint the front wing, or find another, and whatever you feel happy with about the skirt thing. (Personally I hate them, and would remove both sides.... ;))

No one appears to have recommended you claim for whiplash yet, is the morality of the forum improving?

Thanks for all the replies. I feel a bit better now.

The guy admitted it was his fault from the off. I had a work colleague in the car at the time who I suppose is a witness. There were plenty of cars on the road and at the junction, but none stopped.

The guy suggested insurance from the off, so that's how we're doing it. I never even thought about doing it any other way (I was in shock!), plus I need a hire car.

Harvard, I've done a diagram which may explain how it happened. Definitely the guy's fault (because women are better drivers!).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]163851[/ATTACH]

As far as the offer of the door - I'll keep it in mind if the insurance try to say it's not worth fixing. Thanks.

Excellent diagram and yes it's his fault as he has moved across the main road as you were leaving it. As far as the women thing, on my planet that is not the case. i saw a cracker yesterday where a woman delivering car parts to my local garage smashed into a bright yellow gate and after inspecting her van for damage looked at the lower parts of the van and thought she'd got away with it. I pointed out to her that her rear light and higher parts of the rear of the van were fubarred.

H.

He was sat at a giveway line waiting to pull onto the road I was on. He just went, even though I was there. No idea why he did it. He obviously didn't see me. To be fair the road I was on is a main road (40mph) on the edge of the rown and it is fairly busy. It's a pain to pull out, especially turning right (which is why he probably did what he did). You see a lot of reckless driving there.

I'll see what insurers say. I don't think he was willing to pay outside of insurers. Who knows? We have each other's details so I guess I'll have to see what Monday brings.

How lucky is that? All removable panels save a minor scrape on the rear wing. New door, either fill and paint the front wing, or find another, and whatever you feel happy with about the skirt thing. (Personally I hate them, and would remove both sides.... ;))

No one appears to have recommended you claim for whiplash yet, is the morality of the forum improving?

Thankfully no injuries. What a joke that would have been. We were both doing about 10/15mph.

Some idiot pulled out of a drive in front of me about 6 years ago and wrote off my then VW. I hit their car at 40 with no time to brake. Even then I didn't have whiplash, but I was bruised from shoulder to hips from the seatbelt! Whiplash injuries always puzzle me...

Excellent diagram and yes it's his fault as he has moved across the main road as you were leaving it. As far as the women thing, on my planet that is not the case. i saw a cracker yesterday where a woman delivering car parts to my local garage smashed into a bright yellow gate and after inspecting her van for damage looked at the lower parts of the van and thought she'd got away with it. I pointed out to her that her rear light and higher parts of the rear of the van were fubarred.

H.

Thank you. HIS FAULT.

And yes, some women let the rest of us down. :rolleyes:

Thankfully no injuries. What a joke that would have been. We were both doing about 10/15mph.

Some idiot pulled out of a drive in front of me about 6 years ago and wrote off my then VW. I hit their car at 40 with no time to brake. Even then I didn't have whiplash, but I was bruised from shoulder to hips from the seatbelt! Whiplash injuries always puzzle me...

Thank you. HIS FAULT.

And yes, some women let the rest of us down. :rolleyes:

asl? :p